Want to purchase Pellet Stove That won't break the bank..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejmgsd111

Jan 29, 2016
Howell, Mi. USA
Hello! New to this forum. I'm looking at pellet stoves for my 900 ft bungalow that is definitely not air tight! (1942 build) I'm an older person on a fixed income but don't want something installed that maybe dangerous either. I have looked at some ProPels, Hudson River Kinderhook, on Ebay a new Vincenza and want the 26% rebate that goes along with these. I am retired, not gone for more than 12 hours at a time, but like the idea of not having to fill every 12 hours or day if possible and an electronic start. Any suggestions? I want everything for nothing, right? Thanks for your help!

I’ve found 3 used Harman stoves in the last 3yrs, all under $500, just gotta keep your eyes open

Depends on your competency,skill and patience. Generally the cheaper the stove, the more maintenance,cleaning and repairs. If you cannot do it yourself, be aware many stove/chimney shops will not service the cheaper stoves, or china or Italian stoves. You cannot beat a HArman or Quad for low maintenance, but generally Harmans are easier to repair for a homeowner. Sometimes a used stove is the better choice. But for new and cheap, comfortbilt and castle have quite a huge following, with good phone help and fast shipping for parts. A whitfield profile 30 is also a great used stove, easy to clean and operate.

Reactions: ejmgsd111
I got Harmon XXV, but considered Cab50. Everything is Expensive now. You might turn up used Harmon. I think I paid $3500 for New one in 2018. It was floor model and actually 4 years old. They had CAB50 for 1500 then. Wife wanted pretty, vs Box. Very happy with Harmon (Got in April)
https://www.quadrafire.com/products/cab50-pellet-stove
found a used Quad Fire Santa Fe for $1350, it looks great and says excellent condition but.....

If you are somewhat handy and don’t mind having to put in some work, a good price used one maybe the best option. That is probably the route I will take when I need another one.

For an inexpensive new one, I don’t have experience with a lot of different brands. I have a PelletPro 130 that was in my house when I bought it. It had been neglected and it took me a little bit to get it running well. Overall I am happy with it. It will hold enough pellets to run for a few days without needing to be filled. It has electric ignition and you can use a Pellet Miser to hook it to a room thermostat instead of the built in dial one.

As far as cleaning I usually turn it off and dump the ash out of the fire pot a couple of times a week. I give it a more thorough vacuum and wipe down once a week. Then I clean the exhaust with the a leaf blower about once a month. If you keep it clean and use good pellets the fire pot doesn’t fill up with ash much. The PP130 would probably be oversized for your applications, but they make other sizes. You could always make a hopper extension so it hold more pellets.

I also have a USSC stove, it has a removable ash tray that I can empty without shutting the stove down but it is older and doesn’t have an electric ignition.

Reactions: ejmgsd111
If you are somewhat handy and don’t mind having to put in some work, a good price used one maybe the best option. That is probably the route I will take when I need another one.

For an inexpensive new one, I don’t have experience with a lot of different brands. I have a PelletPro 130 that was in my house when I bought it. It had been neglected and it took me a little bit to get it running well. Overall I am happy with it. It will hold enough pellets to run for a few days without needing to be filled. It has electric ignition and you can use a Pellet Miser to hook it to a room thermostat instead of the built in dial one.

As far as cleaning I usually turn it off and dump the ash out of the fire pot a couple of times a week. I give it a more thorough vacuum and wipe down once a week. Then I clean the exhaust with the a leaf blower about once a month. If you keep it clean and use good pellets the fire pot doesn’t fill up with ash much. The PP130 would probably be oversized for your applications, but they make other sizes. You could always make a hopper extension so it hold more pellets.

I also have a USSC stove, it has a removable ash tray that I can empty without shutting the stove down but it is older and doesn’t have an electric ignition.
I am looking at some used ones, my Brother is trying to talk me into a USSC, however maybe 10 years ago I had a couple pellet stoves and the hopper caught on fire not only on 1 but started smoldering on a second, both USSC.... I am very Leary to use them again, My Brothers is 8 years old and never a problem (he's using my old ones for spare parts! LOL)

I am looking at some used ones, my Brother is trying to talk me into a USSC, however maybe 10 years ago I had a couple pellet stoves and the hopper caught on fire not only on 1 but started smoldering on a second, both USSC.... I am very Leary to use them again, My Brothers is 8 years old and never a problem (he's using my old ones for spare parts! LOL)
That would make me Leary too.

Mine runs 24/7 over the winter except when I shut it down briefly to clean it. Never had any issues.

found a used Quad Fire Santa Fe for $1350, it looks great and says excellent condition but.....
Nice stove ,always liked the plain basic look. BUT price would depend on what year it was made, the older the lower price. Any used unit will need a good check over,possibly some parts,just like a used car. What ever you do,if you buy a stove used, do not take it directly into house, while outside is best time to give it a thorough cleaning, especially inside, with all the access panels removed, with high pressure air.