Weather and wood burning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, from my part of the woods! I grew up in Keegan. My folks still live there.

soupy1957 said:
Many years ago, when I was but a wee lad, I was living in a very remote area of Northern Maine, above Caribou. 700 people lived in that town, and about the same number STILL live in that town. They were all farmers. (most all).
-Soupy1957

Backwoods Savage said:
A thought came to mind last night when I was looking at the weather and I wondered how many pay close attention to the weather. That is, I look at the present temperature and the forecast temperature. Then I look at the conditions, that is, what is the sky condition now and what is forecast to happen. What about wind? Are there any storm fronts near?

So, do you look at the weather every day? Perhaps you are like me in that I look at it closely both morning and night. By doing so I am better prepared to know how to load and work the stove. I feel it is just one more tool in the wood burners tool belt.

No

Bigg_Redd, thank you for your lengthy reply. :lol: I've come to expect them and watch for them daily. We do appreciate your opinions even if they are sometimes difficult to completely understand. After all, you use such big words.

I pay attention to the weather . . . especially during the winter . . . partly to know whether I can get by with some of my "lesser" wood or if I should break out the "good" stuff . . . partly to know what my ride to and from work will be like . . . partly to know when I should get the ATV ready for plowing . . . and partly to know when I should get ready with the snowmobile.

I am a weather freak....almost as bad as wood burning. Started my college major as weather and then switched, but I have never lost my interest. It affects everything we do. As you can see in my signature, I have my own weather station....if you click on the link.

Watching the weather like a hawk these past few days as we get our first serious arctic blast coming in. Fortunately it is coming in stages. But Puget Sound weather can be very fickle when cold meets warmer and this one is no exception. Temps are promising to drop to the low teens which for us is very cold, especially in November. I will be heading out shortly to move a cartload of cherry and locust in for the beast to eat. We have been burning 24/7 for a few days now and probably will for at least the rest of the week. Snowed this morning on top of iced roads. Not good for running around in, so we'll be sitting home and enjoying the warmth after I finish wrapping the new fruit trees in bubble wrap.

Have worked outdoors for 31 years and on Aircraft for whole time, you bet im all over the weather.. Justlike the flight crews who never leave the ground without latest weather . I use Imetar on my phone, gives weather for any airfield to current Z time. its awesome.

i always check the weather i have the weather forecast emailed to my phone in the am and in the pm and i just hooked up a cool new digital thermometer to the outside. always like to know what it is outside im comparison to the inside.

Reading your posts is a world that most now pay little attention to. Nice aware comments.

Most here in rural part of the world--N. N.H. and Downeast Maine--look at the waether forecasts, but if they're not
doing something outside it means nothing but an umbrella. For us northerners, ask around during a January day in the singles with a NW gale who's wearing long underwear.
Few own or care. The uniforms are baseball cap, jeans, sneakers, light Carhartt coat. In from a warm car, to a heated store, to an overheated house. Reversed south of the M-D Line !

Much of the year with the stoves the morning routine is emptying the ash pans on the so-called lawns (aka septic ), feeling the wind so the ash and live coals
don't get blown back ( at oh-dark-hundred one is not too aware ), and the morning scent laying to keep the deer off (they don't give a damn BTW, it makes me feel good).

Winter tree harvests are planned with weather: frozen ground and snow are best, soggy ground and high winds here can make for dangerous felling: these woodlands are shallow and bony.

Winter climbs and camping can't do without serious weather forecasts. Starting up in the 20's, calm and sunny with a cold front from Canada in the forecast could kill.

BTW: the "red sky at night.." stuff doesn't work offshore. Romantic though.

I just count on my thermostat in the bk to do its job. :)
But I do watch the weather also..to see if I need long johns..lol.

You bet.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AKZ111

Check the OS thermometer, has been around 0 °f at night for about a week, so I stuff the stove as full as I can with birch.
(I may use spruce if in the 30s & cut the air down some)
Check temp in the around 10AM, & either add wood, or turn to high & burn the load down to ash.

This AM it was 34°F with rain, (what a icy mess on the roads & schools were closed), so I burned down & later added 3 spruce splits. (warm days wood)
Also a "low pressure" system moved in, can burn cooler settings & still draft OK.

High pressure days I have to run stove a little hotter to keep a good draft going ( High press usually means cold in the winter)

If snow is predicted, snow plow ready, how much wood in the inside woodbox? (may fill early if going to snow)

Yea , wife says I'm a weather nut, several shortcuts, web cams, satellites, radars etc.
Some days I check out weather all over the US, even you guys areas just to see what's going on.

With this warm low pressure area moving in here, I look for you "Lower 48'er" in the NW & North Mid west to be getting some cold air soon, not real cold but 5 to 10 °f

I don't have much faith in the long-term predictive power of meteorology. I remember my college statistics professor demonstrating that any weather predictions beyond five days were the same as chance guesswork. Back in the 70s, Edward Lorenz set about to find a way to mathematically predict the weather. His failure to do that contributed to the emerging field of Chaos Theory. Just like inside your stove, where no matter how carefully you place the logs, you can never predict exactly how they'll fall as they burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.