Weather in New England!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
They were calling for rain, but we are getting 100% snow right now and it is sticking!

BTW, I returned from N. Vermont on Thurs - where they have over 4 ft in the last week (higher elevations) - barely made it home alive after skiing in about 6 inches of fresh powder! The roads were bad all the way from Warren to the Ma. line on 91.

Attachments

• aprilsnow.jpg
    aprilsnow.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 420
Crazy! We are getting rain with occasional wet flakes mixed in. Looks like this is payback for the 70's in January! Seems like the seasons are changing. Fall is more like spring/summer and spring is more like fall/winter! Who knows, if it keeps up we might be skiing in August and going to the beach on Christmas some day!

32 and snowing here right now.

Hello spring, are you around anywhere???

Live and kicking out here. I watered the plants for the first time today. Mowed a week ago and it's ready to be done again.

Been 35-37 and POURING the last 36 hours. I've had the stove running for the last 3 days or so. Good grief!! I'll take snow and 10 degrees over Rain and just above freezing any day.

Well our stove has been going all winter! Where is spring? Well, today is warmer; about 50 with a NW wind @24 gusting to 40.

Thought I had run out of wood, but managed to scrounge a few twigs from the yard and pulled some paritally seasoned splits off next year's pile. I got that baby going with 11 pieces of kindling and a lot of blowing on it. I feel like McGyver.

wow - a little bit of rain, and this part of the state goes into panic mode. Some sections of the road I come to work down have water overflowing from the rivers (like it does several times per year), and they closed the road, right after I came down through. Parts of Northampton, Leeds and Florence were declared emergencies, and they are asking for voluntary evacuations. If I were more cynical, I would think the local officials declared these "emergencies" in order to try to get some state and/or federal aid, rather than any real emergency.

Dodged a bullet here in N/Central VT. Were forecasting 14" of snow at my place and on my hill there's usually more. We got 6" yesterday by 8 PM and nothing since. Rained all AM and sun shining now and 45 degrees!!!

What a mess north of NYC - huge portions of the Taconic State Parkway are completely closed even this morning, a day and a half after the rain. Took me 90 minutes to make the usual 28 minute commute. I have never seen such widespread road closures, much less for such a long period of time.

For those of you in Dutchess County, I would stay away from anywhere near Hopewell Junction - miles of backups from the east this morning.

-Colin

I have to tell you, I suspect that this is pretty much winter's last gasp here in the northeast. Temps by weekend should be moving to seasonal norms or even slightly above and longer range doesn't indicate any signifacant cold invasions, at least from this vantage point. We may all be mowing in another 10 days to 2 weeks!~

Up here on the hill...It's been interesting!
Sunday started out with spitting snow that amounted to 2" of 'cement'...Flashed over to sleet, warmed into rain...everything turned into a mess...and it has been raining since. Because there is still frost in the ground...I knew I was going to have to "break out the pumps" for the basement. Been putting off finishing the "curtain drain" around the front of the house for too long...If this is what New England weather is going to be like "In the future with global warming" I'm gonna be busy digging the moat...lol
Been on "flood patrol for 36 hours now". Damn drywell is "over saturated"...pumped it out 6 times so far (at 250 gallons a shot).
On the bright side? Rainwater harvest has been good...system back up over 1,000 gallons with no place left to store it...

Guess you gotta take the good with the bad :)

Well well. I think Spring has finally arrived.
I shut the stove off yesterday and don't think
it will be running again until the Fall. Woke
up to pleasant temp of 69F in the house with no heat on
so that works for me.
Now just have to do the full cleaning including emptying
the cleanout T and running the brush through the liner.
Brother is lazy so I have to do it myself.

Spring is here too, but we are still running a small electric heater with the thermostat showing 72 this morning.................. :)

Wood stove has been cold for 2 weeks now, don't expect to light it again this year.

Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.