1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

WFO Baguettes and pizza this weekend.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by fishingpol, Aug 5, 2012.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    So I had my first shot at making bread in the mud oven. I made french baguettes from a simple recipe. Made a few mistakes but learned a lot. Fresh bread out of the oven with butter on it is fantastic. The smell was incredible.

Firing pics. Used oak for a really hot fire. I had to stand about 3 feet back from the door to get these pics.

IMG_0692.JPG

Raging secondaries at the top of the dome.

IMG_0695.JPG

Baguettes on their second rise after forming. I oiled the sheet pan lightly but they stuck as they rose. Cornmeal and flour next time on a wooden peel.

IMG_0699.JPG

First loaves. Oven too hot, crispy brown bottom.

IMG_0700.JPG

All four out, second two on the right were much better. I have to work on the forming.

I sprayed the firebrick floor to help keep the dough crunchy on the outside. I have a wooden baking door that I soaked in water to help keep moisture in.

IMG_0701.JPG

Overall they tasted great. I learned a lot, and the bread flour worked great. We ate one fresh out of the oven. They will go great with stew this fall, or used as a crostini with fresh tomatoes and mozz cheese.

If anyone has pointers, I'll take them. I enjoyed learning to bake something other than pizza.

Oh, here is another margherita pizza made the night before.

IMG_0682.JPG

Burnt the edge on this one but I thought it was a nice pic to put up.

IMG_0677.JPG
    ScotO, pen, Shadow&Flame and 4 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Just for the record, I am extremely jealous of your mud oven!

I purchased a used chiminea late last summer and haven't had a chance to play with it yet this year. I wonder if I could bake bread in my chiminea? I LOVE bread fresh from the oven! :)
    ScotO likes this.
  3. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Thanks Shari. If there is a way you could get firebricks across the bottom of the chiminea to build your fire on top of it, it may work. You would have remove the coals before baking and close off the chimney at the top with a few bricks to retain heat. The front door would have to be closed off also for baking.
  4. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I know I can get firebrick in the bottom. I know I can close off chimney. The only problem would be closing off the front opening. Hmmmmmm..... have to put my thinking cap on. :)
  5. bfunk13

bfunk13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wyoming
    Lookin' good!
    That last Margherita is just about perfect.
    Keep the pics coming.
    fishingpol likes this.
  6. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Baking doors are made of wood. A simple pine plank the shape of the opening with a shim wedge to hold it in place.
  7. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    looks good cant wait to get mine finished
    ScotO and fishingpol like this.
  8. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Fishinpol,

That looks friggin great man. Nice work!

I have got to start saving money for a wood burning oven. I would like it on my covered porch. I am thinking of a wood burning stove with an oven. I would like one of those ovens, like several of you guys have. But I am starting to think maybe one up on my porch and under the roof would get a lot of use. Sometimes I will temporarily plastic in a section of the porch to keep the snow and rain out of that area near the door to the house. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

http://www.reliabuy.com/products/GXD_OVEN_Wood_Burning_Stove_LARGE-3177-543.html

Although I don't know if I would buy something from a place called reliabuy? ;lol

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11606961

This would be the cat's ass right here. I would need ZAP's money for this though! <>

http://mainewoodheat.com/wood-fired-ovens/wood-burning-brick-ovens/le-panyol-model-100/
    ScotO likes this.
  9. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Thanks Gas. Nice links there.

The one thing I find is that I tend to spill hot coals onto the ground when pulling them out of the oven for baking. I'd be leery putting an oven near a wood structure as there are so many chances for error with sparks, embers and coals about.
  10. mhambi

mhambi Burning Hunk

Loc:
    UT
    Oh man. drooling!
    PapaDave likes this.
  11. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Hah, I'm drooling over your rocket stove project. Making us wait and all...:(
    ScotO likes this.
  12. Capt

Capt Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Michigan
    Great pics! I am in the process of building an outdoor kitchen with pizza oven and built-in gas and charcoal grills. Foundation has been poured, and the block is finished. I'm getting excited!

I have quite a few recipes, we need to share a few.
  13. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Sounds great! What type of oven? Cast refractory, cob, brick dome? Looking forward to pics.
  14. Capt

Capt Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Michigan
    Cast refractory. It is completed finally!
  15. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Start a thread. Let's see it!
  16. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I wish I wish I WISH I had time to build one this year, but it has to wait. The boss wants her living room done first! :( I love wood fired pizza, wood fired bread, wood fired biscuits.....I can almost smell them just by lookin at your pics, FP! ;)
  17. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Wait until you see Capts pictures. I got the sneak preview and he really needs to start a thread on it. As we say up here "Its' wicked nice."

Keep the wife happy, that;s how I get my projects signed off for approval by her. :(
    ScotO likes this.
  18. ScotO

ScotO Guest

AMEN TO THAT ONE, FP!! I saw the Capt's WFO post, that is a nice one too! Hell that's big enough to start a restaurant! I envy you guys and your WFO's!
    fishingpol and Capt like this.