What can a Hearthstone Mansfield do that my stove can't?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
I love my wood stove! (Regency F3100). I know Regency freestanding units don't get much airplay on this forum, but by all accounts I've heard it's a top of the line stove on par with Quadrafire, PE, Jotul, etc.

But, I'm thinking, if it's possible to upgrade this is a great opportunity because of the tax credit. Maybe soapstone??

What can a Hearthstone Mansfield do that a good, big, steel box can't?

No stove is better than a big steel box. :lol:

look pretty?

cost more?

IF your current stove is meeting your needs and is an efficient unit, I wouldn't upgrade just to spend the money. For every 30c you get in rebate you have to spend 70c. If you keep your current stove, you keep your 70c too. Could buy yourself a new toy like a nice little splitter with that money instead...

woodjack said:
I love my wood stove! (Regency F3100). I know Regency freestanding units don't get much airplay on this forum, but by all accounts I've heard it's a top of the line stove on par with Quadrafire, PE, Jotul, etc.

But, I'm thinking, if it's possible to upgrade this is a great opportunity because of the tax credit. Maybe soapstone??

Unless you are just itching to waste some $$$ I wouldn't bother.

Spend that money on a vacation to Belize. They don't even have wood stoves down there.

Bigg_Redd said:
Spend that money on a vacation to Belize.
+

But no tax credit for that, unless you're a member of Congress.

I'd have a hard time justifying an upgrade with your current stove.
You probably get 8+ hr. burns often w/ that huge firebox.
It's probably about the same with the Mansfield, except your heat remains a bit longer afterwards.

Bigg_Redd said:
woodjack said:

Spend that money on a vacation to Belize. They don't even have wood stoves down there.

Mmmmmm botfly paradise.

Rob From Wisconsin said:
I'd have a hard time justifying an upgrade with your current stove.
You probably get 8+ hr. burns often w/ that huge firebox.
It's probably about the same with the Mansfield, except your heat remains a bit longer afterwards.

I wonder if other Mansfield Owners would chime in on the burn time. I burn one in my showroom and after 12 hours it has a good bed of coals, is still hot and I can easily re light without kindling. I've come back after 15 hours to a warm stove, and with raking the coals and some smaller splits been able to re light the fire. I use dry wood stored indoors (warehouse) and we have a class A chimney straight up thru the showroom roof.

woodjack said:

It's soapstone and very pretty . . . but if you're happy with your stove and it's doing the job it's kind of hard to justify spending the money unless there's any real substantial reason for "upgrading."

I'm wondering the exact same thing - the Mansfield sure looks tempting... What I've found is that there will likely be a sale in Jan or so on them, and the tax credit is still good next year, so no rush. That's still a lot of coin for a stove...!

Hearthstone does sometimes run a sale after the first of the year. It normally amount to a couple hundred dollars off. Certainly worth waiting for since you already have a great stove. So, the easy math. You by a Mansfield for $3000 or a little less with the sale, your net with the credit is $2100, you sell your Regency for $600 or so on CL. Maybe more. You end up spending a net of about $1500 for a beautiful stove that I think you'll get better performance and tons of enjoyment out of.

Franks said:
Hearthstone does sometimes run a sale after the first of the year. It normally amount to a couple hundred dollars off. Certainly worth waiting for since you already have a great stove. So, the easy math. You by a Mansfield for $3000 or a little less with the sale, your net with the credit is $2100, you sell your Regency for $600 or so on CL. Maybe more. You end up spending a net of about $1500 for a beautiful stove that I think you'll get better performance and tons of enjoyment out of.

Sounds tempting, but so does that trip to Belize. :coolsmirk:

Thats a lot of coin to replace something that isn't broke. But, if ya want it, get it...ya only live once..!!

I have to admit that I have been waiting for the local shop to want to get rid of that never burned in floor model Mansfield for three years. Except that I would have to cut those duck feet off of the legs to shoe-horn it into my fireplace.

And I just know that a week after I did it I would want the 30 back in there.

Bigg_Redd said:
woodjack said:

Unless you are just itching to waste some $$$ I wouldn't bother.

Bigg_Redd said:
woodjack said:
I've made my decision. I'm going to Belize.

Great news, Vozelgang needs sales reps there. ;-)

wsorg said:
They look nice but I'm not sure they're worth the cost.

Nothing looks better to me encasing a fire than a big, black, steel box.

Status
Not open for further replies.