What constitutes a "good" pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
I'll be adding a pellet stove to my home shortly, and will very likely have a few questions along the way. The first is - what makes pellet good? From what I gather, pellet quality can have a dramatic effect on a stoves performance. What should one look for in a pellet? Softwood/hardwood, ash content, etc..... Thanks.

A good pellet burns hot and clean (relatively speaking)

It is going to depend on your stove, burn habbits, and of course your wallet!

A brief list of good pellets:
Okanagan
Energex
Hamer
LG's
Sprce pointe
Somerset

Look for high BTU ratings and low ash, and by all means buy a bag of several types to try.

Most important part of the above post is try a few bags before buying. That list posted are all pellets that generally everyone loves. But each stove can have its own personality, so try a few bags just to see.

Buying a decent stove helps even the playing field on pellets.

I only buy self stacking pellets, hard to find this time of year.

mascoma said:
I only buy self stacking pellets, hard to find this time of year.

Now you tell us, I could have used these many a time ;-).

Hemlock,

There are posts on here of jtakeman's test results that is where I'd start to gather information about the various pellets.

You also need to understand that different batches of the same pellet can burn differently.

The only way to know exactly how a batch is going to burn is to burn a couple bags before buying a large amount of pellets.

Good luck.

ETA: A link to information links that will help you: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58243/

Status
Not open for further replies.