What do you all think about outside air kits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdk84

Feb 23, 2011
New England
What are peoples opinions of outside air kits for anyone who has had a stove without one and then installed one? Notice any difference on heating? My house is rather drafty compaired to newer homes. I understand that whatever air is escaped up the chimney has to be drawn back into the room were the stove is (duh) so would this have a more negative effect on a more drafty house as far as pulling the cold air back in faster?

It should cut down on the drafts simply because less air has to be drawn into the house. We've had them and haven't had them. So far, we prefer not having them as we do not notice a drafty house any more when running the stove vs. not running the stove. With the OAK, we did notice some unfavorable conditions when the wind was wrong. But some folks really like them so it all depends upon the whole picture.

We had no problems that I could possible think of related to our OAK. Our house is newer and tight. It was kind of nice to know that we were not feeding conditioned air to the stove.

I am about to install a Jotul F600 and I am going back and forth in my mind about installing an OAK. Part of me says "Everything will be fine without it" while the other side says "Just install the darn thing". I don't think this helps answer your question. The difference is I have a newer (5 yrs) house with a lot of insulation save for one room where all the draft comes from. I am leaning towards installation.

I think they are a good idea. I don't have one on my stove as I get enough outdoor air into my house through the walls, windows, walls ..... my house is pretty drafty!

Bill

I ran my summit for a while without, and discovered that the draftiest room in the place was the farthest from the stove... my bedroom. I installed an OAK hoping to slow down the air infiltration in my room... keep in mind if you were anywhere between the bedroom and the stove you could feel the draft. With the OAK the draft mostly stopped. Air still comes in when the wind blows the right direction, but the bedroom is consistently five plus degrees warmer and the rest of the house feels better without the constant cold draft.

I know other people that don't have them, and their houses are quite comfortable. If it is an easy install, give it a shot and it may help. If it will involve a major construction nightmare, by all means don't waste your time! Good luck!

gdk84 said:
I understand that whatever air is escaped up the chimney has to be drawn back into the room were the stove is (duh) so would this have a more negative effect on a more drafty house as far as pulling the cold air back in faster?

No negative I can see. Should help reduce outside air drafts. Should help your wood stove if you have a downdraft cook-top, dryer, or big exhaust fans.

I like the idea, it makes sense especially if your house is tight and the stove has to compete with other things like a dryer, water heater, or bathroom fan.

It makes sense to use and OAK if you have a drafty house to keep from drawing heated room air up the chimney which needs to be replaced with cold outside air. It also makes sense if you have a really tight house where the stove may not be able to draw air as freely as it would in a more open house, causing draft problems and smoke sometimes sucked out of the stove when a central furnace or range vent fan is turned on. The type of house where it may not be cost effective is the majority in the middle. It can'[t hurt, though, except for the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.