What do you burn in you stove besides wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Alright, we're about half way through the heating season where I'm from. I am curious what kinds of things you burn (or have burned) in your stove this season that isn't wood? (super cedars don't count)

*My wife had a soft cover book that she read was disappointed in the way it ended. So we threw it in the stove.
*I burned my employee handbook from a job that I hated (I have footage of this event)
*I burned some pistachio shells
*I regularly throw in dryer lint

My neighbor rolls up magazines and newspapers in wire ties- uses them as little logs, mixes them in with his splits.

What else are you burning?

Black Walnut shells,in season Those burn very hot & clean,leave practically no ash.When I get a shoebox or so full,I tape the lid & in the fire it goes.Occasionally other nut shells too,when I get a supply every fall.

The usual junk mail like any credit card offers,other similar stuff.Any catalogues or magazines etc received in the mail that I dont want,I tear off mailing label & inside order form with my name & addy,bits of paper are burned,catalogues etc goes in recycling bin.

The usual scrap wood or small bits of plywood from my cabinet shop & construction sites I work at.Dunnage,the occasional cut-up pallet,twigs/branches from my property,pruning for others,corncobs for kindling.End cuts & trimmings from salvaging old barn timbers/beams. Scraps/slabs from bandsaw & Alaskan mill.Nothing treated like landscape timbers or decking material obviously.

Yeah I'm doing carpentry pretty much full time now so I've been bringing home a lot of leftover construction debris. Forgot about that.

more wood and even more wood

wendell said:
more wood and even more wood

Now that's pushing it. Be careful burning that stuff.

Day light.

:)

Used printer paper is a great way to get the draft going on a cold stove. Nails go in when attached to wood also.

Matt

Have I posted pictures of my shrine to Bill Buckner?

When I went to put hardwood floors down a few years ago I pulled up the carpet to find 5/8" flake board with a paper coating on it, I guess to make it smooth. After an hour trying to pull it up I got smart and set my circular saw just a little over 5/8 and cut it into squares that just happened to fit in my old stove. It was great for getting a fire started with.

Neighbor burns motor oil in his shop stove. He fills a coffee can half full and sets it in a giant bed of coals. He has bigger nuts than me though, it becomes one huge uncontrollable fire storm.

Cord wood, newspaper for starting or fire starter. First season it seen a few pallet pieces but that was it.

body parts

All I burn in mine is wood but my folks burn their trash in theirs. They have 2 can in the house and paper goes in one and the rest in the other. The paper stuff gets burned and the other goes to the dump. Saves a bit of $$ since it's like $2-3 per bag at the dump.

In addition to wood, I burn cardboard from any boxes i may get. Only brown boxes, nothing with shiny paint. Works great to get a slow fire going.

Cord wood, pine cones, pine branchs, newspaper, cardboard (non-shiny type), softwood kindling, dimensional lumber scraps (non-treated) and peanut shells after a trip to The Texas Roadhouse.

Firewood, all species. Styrofoam, Tires, Small Children.... :gulp: I'm sorry I probably just discredited my self! I burn wood and only wood. No really, it's true! :lol:

i have a fisher type stove...yup-not UL listed. only burn wood and paper. i was surprised at how many people on this site admitted to having cats in their stoves. must be real hard to get them in there; but when you think about it, they are usually lying around the front of the stove anyway. i thought this was something the animal shelters usually took care of...
oh well-see you at the hearth.com summer picnic........just be sure to check the cookout menu carefully!! i heard we may be having mystery meat!!

old tires, smells great

-PB- said:
STINK BUGS!

yep yep, wife hates bugs. wont touch the things. stink bugs get and i quote "incinerated"

Super Cedars and an occasional Ferret. Rick

I recently tried shredded paper (bank statements, etc) as starter. Works pretty good. Also have burned hardwood pallets (minus nails).

Stump_Branch said:
-PB- said:
STINK BUGS!

yep yep, wife hates bugs. wont touch the things. stink bugs get and i quote "incinerated"

And I thought all the stink bugs hibernated in my wood pile. I do like watching them get bounced around from the ceiling fans before they meet their fate in the wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.