What do you burn in you stove besides wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trktrd said:
Caught my son throwing the wooden "Whoopin' spoon" in the stove. Good thing I have spares !

Smart boy you're raising. smart boy.

Beer cans, wife can't count the empties if I get rid of the evidence.

Hi -

I'll cop to burning plates full of bones after a good rib dinner.

In my buddies (LARGE) stove in his shop I've seen deer bones and hides incinerated. He had a fairly high chimney and a hot fire. It really didn't seem to faze the stove, and I really didn't smell anything unusual.
I the same stove the youngsters often swiped one anothers ball caps and tossed them in the stove : 0 That did leave a mark on occasion.

ATB,
Mike

DaFattKidd said:
Burned a yellow pages from 2008 yesterday. Burned like a champ. That thing gave off some heat, and held a flame for over 30 minutes.

I was wondering how those would do, I may have to try it out. I havent used a phone book in 10 yrs yet they keep on delivering them. They also make good targets.

Burned a box of old check registers and the accompanying carbon copies. Burned pretty well and ,amazingly, I could still read the writing on the ashes the next day.

News paper balls, small strips of corrugated, and pallet wood to start a fire.

Occasionally a bird will try to build a nest in the flue during the shoulder season. When we were kids we'd let the bird out, he'd fly all over the house, sooting up the cieling, we'd let him outside and he'd be back at it the next day until he succeeded in making a nest. Holy house full of smoke. Then my dad took to throwing a lit ball of newspaper in the stove when a bird got in there. Before it stopped burning, the bird was expired. Cremation services followed that evening. My sister hasn't the heart to do that, so every now and then i find myself on her ten pitch roof, 3 stories up, usually late at night on a blustery spring evening, cleaning out a bird nest so her kids can have heat.

Warm in RI said:
Burned a box of old check registers and the accompanying carbon copies. Burned pretty well and ,amazingly, I could still read the writing on the ashes the next day.

News paper balls, small strips of corrugated, and pallet wood to start a fire.

Occasionally a bird will try to build a nest in the flue during the shoulder season. When we were kids we'd let the bird out, he'd fly all over the house, sooting up the cieling, we'd let him outside and he'd be back at it the next day until he succeeded in making a nest. Holy house full of smoke. Then my dad took to throwing a lit ball of newspaper in the stove when a bird got in there. Before it stopped burning, the bird was expired. Cremation services followed that evening. My sister hasn't the heart to do that, so every now and then i find myself on her ten pitch roof, 3 stories up, usually late at night on a blustery spring evening, cleaning out a bird nest so her kids can have heat.

Sounds like your sister needs a different chimney cap. "Cremation services followed" that's funny.

SKIN052 said:

I'm not sure, but we may need to talk about getting you a sponsor. Those words have AA all over them.

Jutt77 said:
DaFattKidd said:
Burned a yellow pages from 2008 yesterday. Burned like a champ. That thing gave off some heat, and held a flame for over 30 minutes.

I was wondering how those would do, I may have to try it out. I havent used a phone book in 10 yrs yet they keep on delivering them. They also make good targets.

i put it on a hot bed of coals about 400* it increased the temp to 450 and kept it there for over 30 minutes. Nice little burn session.

DaFattKidd said:
SKIN052 said:

I'm not sure, but we may need to talk about getting you a sponsor. Those words have AA all over them.
Lol, no I am good, trust me. I only drink on weekends and holidays. Took tomorrow off so I am typing this with one hand and have a Corona in the other. Come to Newfoundland and see the mess of beer we drink, makes most people shake their head. As for the wife, she is a heck of allot smarter than I am so in reality, I am not hiding anything. This is a typical conversation in my house, Me: "Can I go buy a case of Beer?" Wife: "Sure!" Me: What account do I use?" Wife "Checking" and off I go. She pays the bills online so she knows what I spend. Makes Christmas shopping a groan. Plus, I work like a dog all day long and have all my work done before I pop the top. Just a beer lover is all. Lol, thanks for the concern however. Corona is empty, gotta go! Back in a bit.

SKIN052 said:
DaFattKidd said:
SKIN052 said:

Lol, no I am good, trust me. I only drink on weekends and holidays. Took tomorrow off so I am typing this with one hand and have a Corona in the other. Come to Newfoundland and see the mess of beer we drink, makes most people shake their head. As for the wife, she is a heck of allot smarter than I am so in reality, I am not hiding anything. This is a typical conversation in my house, Me: "Can I go buy a case of Beer?" Wife: "Sure!" Me: What account do I use?" Wife "Checking" and off I go. She pays the bills online so she knows what I spend. Makes Christmas shopping a groan. Plus, I work like a dog all day long and have all my work done before I pop the top. Just a beer lover is all. Lol, thanks for the concern however. Corona is empty, gotta go! Back in a bit.

Nothing goes better with fire than beer. Oh how I miss those days. Enjoy!!!!

NATE379 said:
I bet that smells real good?!

I made the mistake of cleaning the yard one day and throwing the turds in the burn barrel while I was burning branches and other stuff. Well I could smell roasting poo all the way at the house, 300-400 ft away! YUK!

Clodhopper said:
Dog poop from the puppy who is taking entirely too long to house break.

As a Boy Scout in the 50's we were on a winter camp and all decided to piss on the fire to put it out one night - I'll never do that again!

SKIN052 said:
DaFattKidd said:
SKIN052 said:

Corona in a can - will wonders never cease?

Pallets are the only odd item so far. But I never thought about the pine cones. Thanks! I have 12 long leaf pines in my yard that I have to clean up after.

As far as junk mail and credit card offers... Its best to take the return envelope and pack it full of their own propaganda and send it back to them. Remove your name from any papers first of course. No need for the extra attention.

BRB... goin out to the yard and get some pine cones

Retired Guy said:
SKIN052 said:
DaFattKidd said:
SKIN052 said:

They do make them in a can, but tonight I am living the high life and drinking from a bottle. How hot does a fire have to get to burn glass?

SKIN052 said:
Retired Guy said:
SKIN052 said:
DaFattKidd said:
SKIN052 said:

They do make them in a can, but tonight I am living the high life and drinking from a bottle. How hot does a fire have to get to burn glass?

Crud. I hope that line wasn't offensive to you. I'm a beer lover too, man. The conversations in my house are usually, wife: "there's no room in the fridge for your beer." Me "oh crap sorry. I'll drink some of those now and put the others outside."

I can only get away with that in the winter. I usually just have a few beers sitting right outside my side door in the winter. Right now I got two sam's and a bluemoon sitting in 18" of snow next to my ash bucket.

Also FYI see image below.

Attachments

• Picture 124.jpg
    Picture 124.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.