What do you do for gloves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I have bought the 15 dollar gloves, and the 5.99 pack of 4 gloves and found there not to be much difference. I get 2 trips into the field and fingers are coming through either pair. Would be willing to spend more on a pair if they were better, but have not seen any that appear to have the longevity that warrants additional funds.

The gloves I buy have to be heavy ones because I do the cutting and splitting during cold weather. Usually about the time I'm stacking I can finally go without gloves. Sadly it has gotten to the point where it is difficult to find good gloves with pile lining. They like to put thinsulate in them now and that is not good at all. I have found a few though with thinsulate and they added a soft lining and it was not too bad but the best gloves I used to wear were, I think, Wells-Lamont and they were deep pile lined.

Last winter I purchased some from Galeton and they weren't bad but a bit lighter glove than I was used to using. Some of their gloves have to be purchased by the dozen but they have good prices.

For sure when handling wood one needs something that is tough.

Btw, the reason I don't like the thinsulate is, for example, the last pair I tried. They were warm....until you started handling something real cold. Like I could wear them fine while cutting wood but when it came time to load that cold wood the fingers got cold fast. Also, one time I put a pair on just before coming to the house. I had soapstone in the gloves to keep them warm and they felt nice but as I was driving the atv my fingers about froze. Of course now I have heated hand grips and a windshield so that won't happen.

I have no issues with warmth. My hands stay warm easily. The reason I wear gloves is to handle ivy/stickers, and avoid splinters. The leather is just too thin on most over the counter gloves. I have kind of accepted that I should buy the 4 pack at 6 bucks and chuck them every other trip.

If I'm sawing or almost anything else involving removal of a tree I use the Atlas "blue gloves". If I am running machines or hand splitting I use White Ox cotton gloves, as they give the right amount of slip on the maul handle and great protection for handling chain or cable.

These are the toughest I have run across. Still using the first pair and going strong. http://www.tasco-safety.com/workgloves/leather-work-gloves.html#500dp-aaa. The site has some cheaper ones also. I used to go with the cheaper bundle packs all the time, but living quite a ways from any store it became old always when the pair of gloves would fall apart making them worthless and I was left with no gloves when I needed them. Price is for a dozen.

mywaynow said:
I have bought the 15 dollar gloves, and the 5.99 pack of 4 gloves and found there not to be much difference. I get 2 trips into the field and fingers are coming through either pair. Would be willing to spend more on a pair if they were better, but have not seen any that appear to have the longevity that warrants additional funds.

I wear the $6 Atlas Fit gloves. They last as well as anything.

Bigg_Redd said:
+1 I have three cords CSS on one pair of these. They were filthy. Went through several cycles of soaking, washing, and rinsing before the wife allowed them in the laundry. She has them looking good now. Ready for next year. They improve my grip in addition to being durable.

Ditto on the Atlas Fit.

S

I've found deer skin gloves to hold up well.

Bigg_Redd said:

BR and I agree on something?!? I guess that makes the Atlas Fit the guaranteed best choice. :lol:

With the Atlas Fit gloves, is there an issue with your hands sweating terribly or does the cotton on top allow to breathe?

I keep a few pair of these snug fitting cut resistant gloves in the shop & cab of pickup.Forget the brand name,my employer provides them.Handling broken concrete,rebar,scrap metal similar stuff can wear holes in fingertips sometimes in a week or so.Using them when working in the woods they last much longer.Though I found out last month that multiflora rose & blackberry thorns will go through them pretty easily.Are great from April to November.They stink pretty bad after a day or so of 90 degree temps lol.When its colder,I slip a pair of my regular pile lined leather gloves over them.

GordonShumway said:
With the Atlas Fit gloves, is there an issue with your hands sweating terribly or does the cotton on top allow to breathe?

I don't notice my hands sweating but know they do as he gloves do get stinky. In fact, I usually throw them out from the smell before they wear out.

There is a brand that the hardware store has that I use. Lasts me about a year on a pair.

GordonShumway said:

Yeah. They are hot. It is a relief when they come off. I have the summer and winter versions and find both hotter than heck. In my case, the hands work better heated up.

http://www.showabestgloves.com/showa-gloves

They used to send some samples if you were looking at them for your 'business'. They still might, but I haven't looked through their site for quite a while. Many different kinds of gloves. I like the dipped ones the best. I use whatever I bring home from work now ;-)

Another vote for the Atlas-fit or the even cheaper nitrile coated gloves for split & stacking. I find they last longer than leather at a lower price. They're a bit sweaty but not that bad. Running the saw I still like the heavier leather gloves.

No gloves here . . . then again I don't worry about poison ivy . . . I do have to deal with the occasional splinter though and my wife complains about my rough, callused hands. ;)

mywaynow said:

Not really any good gloves for splitting work or stacking. I normally bare hand it unless its really cold. Saw gloves is another story.

No gloves, unless it is REALLY cold...then some insulated leather. I don't process wood in the winter...just move from the shed to the house.

Mechanic's/carpenter's gloves may be worth a shot. They aren't very sweaty and are pretty durable.

Cloth back gloves wear out in no time. Cheap all leather ones- the stitching comes out. I've found some more expensive ones that last so long as I'm not moving lots of bricks- that wears them out PDQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.