What do you think is the most desirable wood burning unit missing from the market?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'd take a different tack, more to fundamentals - an inexpensive, easily installed, efficient stove. Maybe an entry level one without glass.

Seems like right now there's a big gap between the Vogelzangs ($150-$200 locally) and the next thing in line, which I think is the Napoleon at about 1000. If you could generate something safe that could sell in the 6-800 range, and the wife wouldn't veto it from the living room, you could probably sell a lot of them.

Steve

Corie said:
I'm currently working on something similar to an Aspen in size, but with longer burn times and sturdier. That's what I thought was missing.
I agree, there are few choices for smaller stoves out there. And I don't think it's because of design difficulty; as you know, it's alot easier to design a small clean-burning combustion system than a large one. And I agree with BG, the Jotul 602 is a better starting point than the Aspen. I've owned them all (except the small Morso) and the 602 is clearly the one to beat.

I used to dabble in wood stove design, and I'm quite fond of these end-burn designs, but there is a real challenge getting them to burn clean and completely. In my experience, once you get the primary air stream strong enough to reach the back of the combustion chamber so all the wood gets burned, it is then difficult to control the burn rate. It's worthwhile inspecting the Jotul 118 "Black Bear" redesign to see how Jotul's engineers grappled with this issue. Basically the "cigar-burn" concept has been completely abandoned except as a marketing slogan. They super-insulate the entire firebox and flood it with secondary and tertiary air, so the whole load burns at once. While technically interesting, it's a pretty unsuccessful design. I know several people who bought it and dumped it in a matter of weeks. The local Jotul dealer won't stock them any more.

I'd be happy to brainstorm with you on this!

Steve said:
I think I'd take a different tack, more to fundamentals - an inexpensive, easily installed, efficient stove. Maybe an entry level one without glass.

Seems like right now there's a big gap between the Vogelzangs ($150-$200 locally) and the next thing in line, which I think is the Napoleon at about 1000. If you could generate something safe that could sell in the 6-800 range, and the wife wouldn't veto it from the living room, you could probably sell a lot of them.

Steve

Lowes and Home Depot sell thousands of them every year. The Century stoves. Little one is five hundred and change and the bigger one is seven hundred and change. EPA and UL approved. Glass included.

Wife issues gotta be handled locally.

my vote would be for more Top Loading models. i guess that interferes with a lot of secondary burn systems though.
now that i have it i don't think i can go back so i guess i may be a VC user for life.

better looking inserts is a good idea too.

Top loading is nice if one has good draft. In addition to VC the Lopi Leyden, Harman Oakwood, Quad Isle Royale stoves also are top loaders.

BeGreen said:
Top loading is nice if one has good draft. In addition to VC the Lopi Leyden, Harman Oakwood, Quad Isle Royale stoves also are top loaders.

Harman Exception free standing is a top loader steel stove. It has a cute little lever on the side that opens the top. Plus a secondary burn chamber behind the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.