What do you think of this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauly

Aug 22, 2009
Virginia - North Carolina
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307393_200307393

Drolet Savanna - I still havent pulled the plug on a wood stove. I had been looking at the cast iron ones - morso, jotul, and priced the pe models ( ouch) , as well as the craftsbury by Hearthstone, and the Napolean 1100c. I have caviar tastes and a cheese whiz budget. Just what are the advantages versus disadvantages of steel over cast iron or vice versa? Is there anything negative to say about the Drolet stoves other than not being very good looking? Is there any steel stoves that dont look like a "box"?

thank you for advice

Rarely have I ever found anything in Northern tool that is a better buy than what can be found locally with little footwork, wait, make that NEVER. I read the spiel on this stove in the link, sure sounds like a whiz bang stove, until you read the weight is 280 pounds, and that probably includes the pallet. It might be better than a potbelly, and likely would be servicable for 2 years. Better to pony up the bucks for a real stove and take the 30% tax credit. Northern ads should be taken with LARGE doses of salt, unless you like collecting short-lived junk. If you were to buy it, the cost of the education you will get is not excessive, and you will certainly know what to look for in a quality stove when you replace it.

I think for new stoves you will have a hard time finding a bargain in cast iron. (I do agree, cast is a better looking stove.) Some steel looks better than other, but always boxier than cast, from all I've seen.

I think once it's making you warm, you won't mind as much how the stove looks. Watch the flames, take comfort your money isn't in them. Your best deal in steel will be the Englander "Summers Heat" at Lowe's. You can buy 10% coupons online for Lowe's. Then 30% tax credit. Make sure you have dry seasoned wood!

Looks like a rebranded napoleon.

I found a Drolet Adirondack in a guys garage that was sitting there for 5 years and took it apart sanded and painted it. It seemed really well built to me, nice thick 5/16 top, and stainless steel baffle instead of the cheapo ceramic board baffles. I also didn't think it was that bad looking for a steel box stove. I ended up selling it last month, it went pretty fast on Craigs list.

Pop over to http://overstockstoves.com/50epacenowos.html and buy you an Engalnder 13-NC that will produce more heat, burn cleaner and use less wood, support the Virginia economy and cost you $789 shipping included. Well, except that they will probably have to charge you sales tax since it is an in-state sale.

hmmmmm interesting- very interesting- thanks brobart

Lowe's 13-NC should net down to $725 or so - but no shipping.

The only wood stoves I see on the lowes web site are the summers heat brand- are they the same as the englander NC 13's

4- finger- Pauly said:
The only wood stoves I see on the lowes web site are the summers heat brand- are they the same as the englander NC 13's

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/products.html

England Stove Works makes the Summers Heat (Lowes), Englander (Home Depot) and Timber Ridge (some other big box store). All basically the same stoves. Most people just call them Englanders, no matter the branding.

thanks for the heads up dougand3

Lowe's Item # 8492
Model # 50-SNC13LC

It will be less than I said. $799 reg, $729 sale -10% (buy a coupon online) = $660.
Less 30% tax credit = about $460 net.

dougand3 said:
England Stove Works makes the Summers Heat (Lowes), Englander (Home Depot) and Timber Ridge (some other big box store). All basically the same stoves. Most people just call them Englanders, no matter the branding.

Not basically, but exactly the same stove.
In fact, a dealer in Cheyenne had both Englander & Summer's Heat in stock last week. I watched him peel off the Summer's Heat label on the box to reveal the Englander label underneath.

Rusty old stove like this off Craigslist.........

Attachments

• 3nc3of3l15O15Qa5P399kee92aa13eb7e10ac.jpg
    3nc3of3l15O15Qa5P399kee92aa13eb7e10ac.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 778
  • 3kd3oc3lb5T45Pd5S799k330699f0c1dc1862.jpg
    3kd3oc3lb5T45Pd5S799k330699f0c1dc1862.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 807
Anybody have a clue what the clearances would be to install this in front of or slightly into a fireplace with a mantel around it? Looks like some of the stoves list mantel clearances, this one does not. The ones that do list them so far in my quick perusals seem to be cast iron, maybe, so does that mean that the steel stoves are just too hot to sit on the hearth?

Status
Not open for further replies.