What does a dealer provide with a new stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Besides worlds of Knowledge, I know! I know there are several dealers on here, including some of the moderators. I am in a bit of a quandry regarding dealers and I have a few questions. I know that things differ from dealer to dealer and in different areas, but I am just asking for generalities if that's possible.

When a person buys a new stove or insert, what is included in the sticker price? Just the stove, or is delivery, installation, or service part of the deal?

If you sell to someone out of town, would any of the usual services apply?

I'm not enamored of my local dealer and don't have any great contacts for one that is within a reasonable drive range. But if just getting the stove from them is basically what they provide, then I guess it wouldn't matter too much where I get it, right?

I don't have a lot of money and therefore I have been thinking of getting a decent, recent model EPA stove off Craigslist. I see an insert that would work for me available an hour or so away, but this tax credit thing has me thinking I should buy new and take advantage of that, plus I could get specifically what I want instead of settling for a used one. But then again, at $1000 versus $2700 I would already be saving more than I would be getting back with the tax credit. If I had a good dealer around here, I think I would be sold on a new one, but seeing as I don't...

Well, anyway, sorry for the stream of consciousness. Just wondering what I could expect from a dealer. A good one like you guys! I met I guy once a few hours away at Acme stoves in Harrisonburg VA who was great! If only he was around here.

[quote author="tickbitty" date="1255824783"]Besides worlds of Knowledge, I know! I know there are several dealers on here, including some of the moderators. I am in a bit of a quandry regarding dealers and I have a few questions. I know that things differ from dealer to dealer and in different areas, but I am just asking for generalities if that's possible.

<>When a person buys a new stove or insert, what is included in the sticker price? Just the stove, or is delivery, installation, or service part of the deal?<>

Generally the sticker price is for the stove, only...EVERYTHING else is additional

<>If you sell to someone out of town, would any of the usual services apply? <>

Depends on how far "out of town" is...We generally do not sell stoves to folks who live more than 60 miles away..
This is because of warranty issues. We cannot afford to send our service guys much father than that
& most manufacturers will dictate that if you sell an appliance, you have to be able to provide service on it,
including warranty

<>I'm not enamored of my local dealer and don't have any great contacts for one that is within a reasonable drive range. But if just getting the stove from them is basically what they provide, then I guess it wouldn't matter too much where I get it, right?<>

See above...

<>I don't have a lot of money and therefore I have been thinking of getting a decent, recent model EPA stove off Craigslist. I see an insert that would work for me available an hour or so away, but this tax credit thing has me thinking I should buy new and take advantage of that, plus I could get specifically what I want instead of settling for a used one. But then again, at $1000 versus $2700 I would already be saving more than I would be getting back with the tax credit. If I had a good dealer around here, I think I would be sold on a new one, but seeing as I don't...<>

If something fails on the used unit, you will not have the advantage of the manufacturer's warranty....
That would possibly negate any up-front savings...
Buy a new one not ONLY for the savings, but the peace of mind, as well...

<>Well, anyway, sorry for the stream of consciousness. Just wondering what I could expect from a dealer. A good one like you guys! I met I guy once a few hours away at Acme stoves in Harrisonburg VA who was great! If only he was around here.<>

What you should expect (and GET!) from a dealer is guidance as to what you need to meet your needs & wants,
knowledgeable advice on the safe use of the appliance, a fair price for the appliance &
the peripheral components, quality workmanship on the install, a tutorial on the initial break-in,
& qualified service - post sale.
HTH

DAKSY said:
tickbitty said:
Besides worlds of Knowledge, I know! I know there are several dealers on here, including some of the moderators. I am in a bit of a quandry regarding dealers and I have a few questions. I know that things differ from dealer to dealer and in different areas, but I am just asking for generalities if that's possible.

<>When a person buys a new stove or insert, what is included in the sticker price? Just the stove, or is delivery, installation, or service part of the deal?<>

Generally the sticker price is for the stove, only...EVERYTHING else is additional

<>If you sell to someone out of town, would any of the usual services apply? <>

Depends on how far "out of town" is...We generally do not sell stoves to folks who live more than 60 miles away..
This is because of warranty issues. We cannot afford to send our service guys much father than that
& most manufacturers will dictate that if you sell an appliance, you have to be able to provide service on it,
including warranty

<>I'm not enamored of my local dealer and don't have any great contacts for one that is within a reasonable drive range. But if just getting the stove from them is basically what they provide, then I guess it wouldn't matter too much where I get it, right?<>

See above...

<>I don't have a lot of money and therefore I have been thinking of getting a decent, recent model EPA stove off Craigslist. I see an insert that would work for me available an hour or so away, but this tax credit thing has me thinking I should buy new and take advantage of that, plus I could get specifically what I want instead of settling for a used one. But then again, at $1000 versus $2700 I would already be saving more than I would be getting back with the tax credit. If I had a good dealer around here, I think I would be sold on a new one, but seeing as I don't...<>

If something fails on the used unit, you will not have the advantage of the manufacturer's warranty....
That would possibly negate any up-front savings...
Buy a new one not ONLY for the savings, but the peace of mind, as well...

<>Well, anyway, sorry for the stream of consciousness. Just wondering what I could expect from a dealer. A good one like you guys! I met I guy once a few hours away at Acme stoves in Harrisonburg VA who was great! If only he was around here.<>

What you should expect (and GET!) from a dealer is guidance as to what you need to meet your needs & wants,
knowledgeable advice on the safe use of the appliance, a fair price for the appliance &
the peripheral components, quality workmanship on the install, a tutorial on the initial break-in,
& qualified service - post sale.
HTH

Hey- nice reply.

tickbitty said:

When a person buys a new stove or insert, what is included in the sticker price? Just the stove, or is delivery, installation, or service part of the deal?

If you sell to someone out of town, would any of the usual services apply?

I'm not enamored of my local dealer and don't have any great contacts for one that is within a reasonable drive range. But if just getting the stove from them is basically what they provide, then I guess it wouldn't matter too much where I get it, right?

I don't have a lot of money and therefore I have been thinking of getting a decent, recent model EPA stove off Craigslist. I see an insert that would work for me available an hour or so away, but this tax credit thing has me thinking I should buy new and take advantage of that, plus I could get specifically what I want instead of settling for a used one. But then again, at $1000 versus $2700 I would already be saving more than I would be getting back with the tax credit. If I had a good dealer around here, I think I would be sold on a new one, but seeing as I don't...

Well, anyway, sorry for the stream of consciousness. Just wondering what I could expect from a dealer. A good one like you guys! I met I guy once a few hours away at Acme stoves in Harrisonburg VA who was great! If only he was around here.
The price quoted usually includes only the stove. Delivery, installation, removal of an old stove are all extra.

Installation of a stove, is really quite easy if you already have a usable chimney. If you're reasonably handy, you should be able to do it yourself. I've only paid dealers to bring the stove to my house and set it approximately in place. That kept the price low, but also meant that I didn't have to haul and maneuver a huge chunk of steel or cast iron into place.

About used stoves:
Here's a plus: if it is a recent EPA model that is certified, get a receipt and take the tax credit for the used one.
Here's a minus: even stoves just a year or two old can be overfired or damaged (I know, I got one), so be careful.

Thank you all very much. I did realize that it would be helpful to have the guidance of a good dealer in getting the right product and right fit and installation advice, and had not thought about the warranty issues. I guess since I intend to only look at dealers within an hour or so drive, perhaps it would work out with one of those dealers.

Yeah, the insert I saw on craigslist was bought in 2007 and supposedly used just one season and is "Like new" - it's a Lopi Freedom insert which is certified, but my reading of the tax laws were that the rebates only apply to new stoves. The guy selling it lists the store he bought it two years ago, so I wonder if it would help if he has the original paperwork. (since he would not previously have gotten the rebate or anything.) Well perhaps it's worth giving the guy a call tomorrow.

Thank you all for the information and for confirming to me that my local dealer is not what I am looking for. I'll work something out. But really it is so helpful to have this forum, you all are good.

My understanding is that used stoves that are certified efficient are still eligible for the credit. You only need paperwork if you get audited, so confirm it is a valid burner, but don't worry about any original paperwork.

Look to spend $500 to $1000 for a new liner...

tickbitty said:

When a person buys a new stove or insert, what is included in the sticker price? Just the stove, or is delivery, installation, or service part of the deal? Answer: From my own experience and from what I've read from others, the price is pretty much the price of the stove . . . any other expenses such as delivery charges, install charges, etc. are extra.

If you sell to someone out of town, would any of the usual services apply? Answer: I would think some places may charge a bit more if there is a significant travel distance . . . and perhaps some may be constrained if there is a licensure issue with another company in the area selling the same product.

I'm not enamored of my local dealer and don't have any great contacts for one that is within a reasonable drive range. But if just getting the stove from them is basically what they provide, then I guess it wouldn't matter too much where I get it, right? Answer: I don't place too much stock in dealers . . . no offense to any of them that are members here . . . but in my case I bought the stove from the company that gave me the best price . . . I have yet to go back to them . . . nothing wrong with the company . . . it's just that I don't have any real need to return to them . . . perhaps I will some day when I get ready to buy another stove or need a part.

I don't have a lot of money and therefore I have been thinking of getting a decent, recent model EPA stove off Craigslist. I see an insert that would work for me available an hour or so away, but this tax credit thing has me thinking I should buy new and take advantage of that, plus I could get specifically what I want instead of settling for a used one. But then again, at $1000 versus $2700 I would already be saving more than I would be getting back with the tax credit. If I had a good dealer around here, I think I would be sold on a new one, but seeing as I don't... Answer: Even used stoves -- depending on the make/model can qualify for the tax credit . . . but the danger is in not knowing how well the previous owner used/abused the stove . . . for me, I would rather spend a little more money up front and get what I want for a stove, the right size, etc. and the knowledge that the stove is new . . . and then I know the stove's history.

You can also have a local chimney sweep install the stove or insert. Many do installations as well as cleaning.

If you purchase new I would definitely recommend going with a dealer you like. I bought a Jotul Firelight a year and a half ago and so far have had two issues, a handle revamp and a cracked top. I'm not really thrilled with my dealer, the person who runs the shop is extremely difficult to deal with and downright rude on the phone. IMHO it's worth picking someone you like as there are some pretty impressive warranties out there so you may be dealing with the shop for many years to come.

As far as being local, my dealer(10 miles away) has basically said for warranty work come pick up the parts and then you are on your own. I suspect that most dealers are not like this and may come replace parts that are under warranty, maybe others can shed light on the "norm" here. Anyway just my .02 good luck with the new stove. Even with the issues I've had I have zero regrets on upgrading to a much safer and more efficient stove than I had.

Go to the home depot or lowes and buy an englander. New stove, warranty, affordable, tax credit, etc. You don't need a dealer, you might need an installer, you will need to be able to read the instructions, and you can ask us the rest.

A good product shouldn't require you to keep dealing with the dealer. I have never been back to the stihl dealer that sold me my saw.

Highbeam said:
Go to the home depot or lowes and buy an englander. New stove, warranty, affordable, tax credit, etc. You don't need a dealer, you might need an installer, you will need to be able to read the instructions, and you can ask us the rest.

A good product shouldn't require you to keep dealing with the dealer. I have never been back to the stihl dealer that sold me my saw.

Shoot, I have been exploring this option more since I talked to the dealers and realized the prices I will be talking about. But, it looks like the Box store stove companies offer just one insert size that will heat "up to" 1500 sq feet. No other option there I guess.

Yesterday, a local dealer for Avalon told me that the Olympic all cast-iron construction. But the Avalon manual on the Avalon website says under "Features": "Steel Plate Construction (1/4" & 3/16")." Of course, as I saw noted in another thread (and I double checked it), on the Avalon page for the specs of the Olympic, it says you can get twelve-hour burn times; in the manual I downloaded from their website, it says you can get eight-hour burn times. Dealers and manufacturers give misinformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.