What is considered to hot for single wall pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
I was just reading a post where someone damaged there Class A stove pipe because they where running to hot. When I reload I take my stove pipe between 450 and 500 sometimes alittle over 500 for 2 to 3 minutes to burn out what little stuff built up from the last load. In the morning I let it run that high for a little longer. Could I be possibly doing damage to my Class A pipe that is 18 years old? As I type this just reloaded the stove and what a firestorm and pipe is at 450.

I do not know the limit but I do know that I have never liked that idea of burning hot in order to clean out the flue or chimney. Sorry but the only answer to cleaning out a flue is to burn good fuel so your flue does not get gunked up.

At 500F surface on single wall, you should be well below the continuos limits for class A pipe. FWIW, I also let my stove go up to this temp once a day.

fwiw, we do it regularly (from 400-500) but it is the temperature where we engage the catalyst.

Status
Not open for further replies.