What kind of stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tracy

Hearth Supporter
Aug 8, 2007
Hello!

Can anyone please tell me what kind of stove this is, what it was for and whether it is worth anything? It is not CSA approved, but maybe I could sell it in our buy and sell to someone who may wish to refinish it and use it for a decoration in the yard?

Thank you for any info you can provide me!

Tracy :)

Please click on the picture for a better quality photo.

Attachments

• What kind of stove is this?
    HPIM2486.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,294
I would say it should be called "Larry Down At The Welding Shop On Third Street - Model One."

Not legal to install for heating a house anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere and dog ugly for a yard decoration.

Ha! Ha!
My husband thinks it was home made, too!
Our house was built in '69, so it may be that old. I guess at one time it was in our living room as a heater.

I would call that the Oogly stove. Looks like an Orley prototype.

......yeah.........looks like something a friend of mine threw together to heat his garage when he was rebuilding his GTO

I think this is a very early Orley Stove. The end door and flat cooking surfaces were "signature" traits of his stoves. May have been a new install with the house construction. These are heating monsters. They were built in Oregon and saw only regional use, but they were certainly well made. For a utility stove, they are certainly very good, but would not likely pass any inspection standard. This was probably built when the Oregon standards were the state of the art, so it might be equivalent to an EPA -I standard, right?

UncleRich said:
I think this is a very early Orley Stove. The end door and flat cooking surfaces were "signature" traits of his stoves. May have been a new install with the house construction. These are heating monsters. They were built in Oregon and saw only regional use, but they were certainly well made. For a utility stove, they are certainly very good, but would not likely pass any inspection standard. This was probably built when the Oregon standards were the state of the art, so it might be equivalent to an EPA -I standard, right?

Darned if you aren't correct. Was Orley's first name Larry?

Attachments

• What kind of stove is this?
    orley stove.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,754
Regardless of who made it, it might the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Would make a really kickin' smoker though I bet.

As noted, an early Oogly Orley.

Say that 5 times fast.

Ha! Ha!
You people are having WAAAAY to much fun with this poor ol' thing!
Thank you all for your imput.

Tracy :)

Those were made not too far from where my dad lives. He always talked about them once I got into the stove business. Never seen one though. I went to a stove store called Orleys in Oregon, it was a nice shop with really nice people.

stoveguy2esw said:
11 Bravo said:
......yeah.........looks like something a friend of mine threw together to heat his garage when he was rebuilding his GTO

hey 11B , i wore that patch once , in the mid 80-'s in germany, rocky marne!!

When the poop hits the fan EVERYBODY is 11-Bravo.

Corie said:
Ok, I'll bite. What's 11-Bravo?

Army Military Occupational Speciality identifier for infantry. Boots on the ground, rifle in the hands, ruck sack bouncing on the butt. The base MOS for everybody in the Army.

The guys that always end up gettin'er done after all of the heavy duty pyrotechnic light show stuff is over. Our job in the Chinook outfit was to make sure they got there, keep'em supplied with food, water and ammo and get'em out of there when they needed to.

The old hat is off to each and every "grunt" there is or ever was.

Coaster said:
nahhhh... my secondary was a 12B.

And your primary that they gave you coming out of Basic was? 12B is now 21B.

was 68 j aircraft weapons systems "guns and rockets, tow and hellfire missiles , fire control systems ,etc

i was just commenting on 11-b's patch , 3rd infantry division , currently at ft stewart ga. when i was in the 3rd herd , we were in germany,(wurzburg) but that was before the wall fell and the mark rate dropped. was a great 2 years. was also with the 3rd ACR at ft bliss tx, b co 2/501st avn at cp. humphreys ROK, and c 1/160th SOAR at ft campbell Ky.

Good ole 3rd herd. I was 1-30th Inf, 2nd Brigade, Ferris Barracks, Erlangen, Germany...Just north of Nurnberg. Closed up in '93.....2nd Brigade went to Ft Benning, but believe they might have joined the rest of the division at Ft Stewart now.....My old unit is now in 3rd tour in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.