What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
When I bought wood from a tree service they told me they have oak and maple. I admit I don't know enough about wood as I should at this point, so I need some help identifying this species.
IMG_3436.JPG IMG_3437.JPG
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I think it is oak like the other guys said. You should look at the first picture of the end grain and find the rays we are looking at. They are found in all oaks but not many other woods.

Thanks, I have lots to learn, and appreciate all the lessons I get here from n this forum.

The smell test can help, too. Oak and maple smell very different. Once you get some pieces identified in other ways, (such as the rays) knowing the different scents of each species will help identification in the future.

My wife used to look at me like I had three heads when I was sniffing wood, now sage will grab a piece and take a whiff whenever I cone home with another load.. She is getting pretty good with the nose! :D

Reactions: Jeffm1
Status
Not open for further replies.