What my stove is up to at the moment.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
2/3 load about 4 hours into it.
T-stat is all the way down.
39F outside..74 in the next room..house is pretty even.
Just thought I would share.
3 seasons on cat and stove.
Ash 2 years seasoned.

th_003_zps0a745f21.jpg
th_002_zpsf0fa93e5.jpg
th_001_zps4fa2770e.jpg
th_006_zps79e7935c.jpg

2/3 load about 4 hours into it.
T-stat is all the way down.
39F outside..74 in the next room..house is pretty even.
Just thought I would share.
3 seasons on cat and stove.
Ash 2 years seasoned.

th_003_zps0a745f21.jpg
th_002_zpsf0fa93e5.jpg
th_001_zps4fa2770e.jpg
th_006_zps79e7935c.jpg
Looks familiar, I can't do it with stat all the way down but that is the same low burn behavior. Even flue temps are the same.

Non-cat people might freak out thinking that the stove top is 540. Well, it is, but the rest of the stove is much colder than a non-cat would be at the same top temps. The cat is the heat source, not the fire.

The cat is the heat source, not the fire.

You know, as dumb as this probably sounds, I probably read a thousand posts on cat stoves before I clued into that (as someone who's never run a cat stove). ;em.

Yeah, when my little Keystone is in a low cat burn the top center stone can top off at 700 while the sides are only around 300. A good box burn with flame gives a much more overall even stove temp with much more heat.

Non-cat people might freak out thinking that the stove top is 540.

Why would we freak out? My stove (top) will hit 700 easy and cruises around 600/650.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Why would we freak out? My stove (top) will hit 700 easy and cruises around 600/650.

My stove will be 500° over the top of the cat, but a few inches away it is 200° cooler. A box full of smoldering fuel isn't generating a lot of heat, most of it comes from the cat. That is what makes it such a good, low output, shoulder season heater. Add some air so there is a lively flame, and the whole stove gets hot, and a bunch of radiant heat pours out of the glass.

'Freak out' probably isn't the best term.

Reactions: Highbeam

Since this is "low burn" if that stove put out as much heat as a non-cat at 550 for 40 hours, it would have to be some sort of perpetual motion machine. That low 550 stove top temp represents a low output for the BK.

In my non-cat days I used soapstone and the only way to get to 550 was with intense full throttle and small wood. Really running hard.

Perhaps freak out was a bit too strong of a term. I believe that there is this misconception that the BKs must run at like 200 degrees and not make any heat in order to have such long burn times.

In your new non-cat days the 30-NC will have no problem getting to 550. ;lol

I need one of those fancy IR guns. Too easy to burn my fat fingers plucking the surface meter off of one thing to go measure another.

I need one of those fancy IR guns. Too easy to burn my fat fingers plucking the surface meter off of one thing to go measure another.

Yeah and it scratches up the paint on the stove.

24 hours later I still had 3 or 4 decent size pieces of wood left,a lot of coals left.
Cat was inactive but stove top was still around 250..house at 72.
Another 2/3 load and do it all over again.
Reloading at night works great for me..need more heat at night.

And get this..all without a cat gasket!
I got home later tonight but the new gaskets from FireCat were here...btw fast free shipping and it was boxed up nice...but maybe I'll put the new gasket in tomorrow night if it's cooled down enough before I go to bed.
I know I probably should not have ran it without it but there still was nothing for smoke really.

When did you load...around 7:30 both days?
You can see where I started the fire in the am, around 5:30 both days, during the day, and in the evening on the first day. Today it doesn't look like morning load resulted in that much of a spike, but a long decay. Typically, you can see it spike when loaded, and then a long decay.

Last edited:
Well I put the new gasket in and she's back up and running with about the same 2/3 load.
It will be interesting to me to see if it acts diff.
Only thing is I filled it at noon instead of 8 in the evening...so this time I don't want to put wood in it again till maybe 8 tomorrow night. That would be 32 hours.
Maybe I should put a few more pieces in..lol.

Uh yeah, within the first 15 minutes the stove top was at 650. You were right that steel non-cats get hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.