What options are available if existing ceiling is not high enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cammer

Jan 13, 2007
Most stove manufactures specify a minimum ceiling hight of 7 or 8 feet. The location in which I want to install a wood stove has a ceiling hight of only 82" and will be slightly less when the foor is tiled. Are any options available - such as constructing a non combustible surface on the ceiling - to install in this location?

Also, is anyone aware of any stoves that have a minimum celing hight of less than 7'?

Thanks,

Cam

The only time we usually see ceiling height requirements is for alcove installations, where trapped heat is an issue, and manufactured housing (mobile home) installations, which tend to have tighter requirements than installations in site-built homes.

Case in point: Pacific Energy lists a 7' ceiling height minimum for mobile homes, and a 7' 6" minimum for alcoves. I can find no ceiling height restriction for non-alcove installations in site-built homes.

So I now understand that the issue here is my complete inattention to detail. I was looking at the PE manuals and missed the fact that the min ceiling height was for mobile homes only. I had another look and it now looks OK for me. Thanks for the clarification Tom. Much appreciated.

Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.