What size chimney brush?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I was just reading the "clean my own chimney" thread and like the advice of calling a pro and watching the whole thing before trying to do it myself. But figure if I see a deal on some brushes and rods I should go for it.

This is probably a stupid question, but what size brush do I get? I have a 6" ss flex liner into an insert.
Should the brush be bigger than 6" to clean a 6" liner? Or a different shape or anything? Or is it just fine. Oh, and it should be one of the poly ones, right?

I have a bypass damper on my stove, so I would leave that open and let the junk drop down right? My chimney is only 15' so we should be able to do it from the roof down just fine.

6"poly down into the stove. Even easier than it is for me, and it doesn't take me long at all. I have to remove the 4' pipe inside, clean the elbow, and run up from the outside T about 16', which takes maybe 30 minutes. Should be a piece of cake for you.

Brush same size as chimney. Sounds like yours will be very easy to clean and it won't take very long either. After you do it once or twice you'll probably find that it will take maybe 10-15 minutes to complete the job including taking care of the tools.

Generally the chimney brush should be the same diameter as the chimney . . . although some folks have had to take a bit off some brushes if and when they're too tight . . . in my own case, the 6 inch brush fit perfectly . . . snug, but not so tight it risks getting stuck.

Poly vs. steel brush: One of the great debates here at hearth.com (right up there with cat vs. non-cat and steel vs. cast iron vs. soapstone) . . . I went with poly for my stainless steel . . . but it was a personal choice.

No personal experience on this one, but I understand a poly brush is preferable for flex.

Any issues getting brush rods through two 30 degree elbows?

I've got a 24' run with two 30s maybe 6' up. O.K. to brush from the top all the way down?

Status
Not open for further replies.