What specific questions would you like us to ask at Woodstock's Open House?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for starting this thread Dennis. The comments about thermostatic control would be interesting to know. The questions about mods to existing stoves would also be good to know.

I asked in another thread about placement of a cat probe in an existing fireview. Can you get some photos of what they recommend? Todd posted about a probe location, but I would love to see exactly what they recommend.

Thanks!!

jdinspector said:
Thanks for starting this thread Dennis. The comments about thermostatic control would be interesting to know. The questions about mods to existing stoves would also be good to know.

I asked in another thread about placement of a cat probe in an existing fireview. Can you get some photos of what they recommend? Todd posted about a probe location, but I would love to see exactly what they recommend.

Thanks!!

I can tell you what they recommend. I've had a few conversations with them about this and they won't tell you to drill down through the top but they also won't tell you not to. Mostly they recommend the hole in the back of the stove (left side) for the cat probe thinking thats good enough but I have my doubts. The problem with that hole is it was made for the old Fireview 201/Classic model where the cat is on the left side and the probe slid right in front of the cat and it's a pita to read from back there. The new 205 model has the cat dead center and the probe doesn't sit where it needs to imo.

All the research I've found on this placement is it should be as close as 1/2" from the cat or your just reading the flue gases. The probe they sell for the Fireview is somewhere around 6-8" long. Even if the tip was right at the cat all that extra exposed rod is taking temps inches away from the cat skewing the accuracy. My thinking is something shorter, straight down would be more accurate. I wonder what they use in the r&d lab when testing cat temps?

It does seem like a risky maneuver to drill down through the stone and I was pretty chicken about it when I had my Fireview, but with what I know now after drilling through my Keystone I'd be a lot more comfortable drilling through a Fireview.

I talked to Woodstock support recently as well and brought up the question about a thermostatic damper retrofit for the Fireview 205. He admitted they were exploring the idea of this kind of air control but the new Progress has consumed 100% of their time and attention recently. He sounded pretty doubtful there would be a retrofit but rather expected that the effort would go into a new stove or (my guess) a new model of an existing stove. That said, it seems to me that their energy will be focused on the PH for a few years before they turn their attention to something else new. How long has it been since their last new stove before the PH?

Those of us here at Hearth.com aren't their mainstream customer. We're the relatively small subset of "power users" that gripe and complain about the smallest of details. Even if they sold a retrofit kit to every Fireview owner here on hearth.com, that would have to be a relatively tiny subset of their overall Fireview customer base.

I have considered drilling down through the top of my Fireview as well. But so far, I'm pretty reluctant to do so.

Stump_Branch said:
Can they make a "boxwood" style stove for me...complete with stone and cat?

A boxwood style stove is in the works but no date yet.

HollowHill said:
Pics of the new stove!!! Lots and lots of pics from all angles! Did I mention pics :ahhh:

HollowHill got to see some pictures but we'll be sending her some more; maybe yet tonight.

GAMMA RAY said:
firefighterjake said:
BeGreen said:
I've got one. When are they going to come up with a good name for the new stove? :lol:

+1

I was thinking, "Could you tell us what the real name of the stove will be now that it is in production?"

I will take over asking that question.... :cheese:
I can be rather persuasive....especially in person.... :coolsmirk:

So, I warned Tom that he may have Hell to pay for the name of the stove. Didn't hear much after that and forgot to ask him before we left. I don't remember the whole story of how Progress got there but when he told me it made perfect sense. I think people will get used to the name soon enough.

kingquad said:
Dennis, I'd be interested to know if they are planning on adapting the hybrid technology to the Keystone and Fireview. Also, will they be offering it as a retrofit option for existing owners? Are there any plans to make a more contemporary looking version of the Fireview.

At present there are no plans to adapt this to the Keystone and Fireview. However, those two stoves might receive a bit of a new design soon so that more contemporary design you asked about is a strong possibility. There will be some retrofit on the Progress as some new things happen.

mike8937 said:
what type of cat will come with it?
replacement cost of this cat?
are they on track with meeting delivery dates? not extremely important i just cant waitt until spring to get one
how picky will it be with wood?

how will this stove react to less then ideal fuel?

im new to the epa stoves. i may be wrong on this but cat stoves need a little more attention paid to ageing the fuel then non-cats. please correct me if i am wrong on that, i do realize all stove run better with properly aged wood.

The cat is nice. It is much wider than the cat in the Fireview and can also be turned around if one side starts to go bad. It is the steel cat and not the ceramic. Replacement cost will be around $150 or maybe a bit higher.

Delivery dates look good and they have orders for over a month of production. So far on track and it looks good.

Good wood is necessary for any stove to operate as intended and I always cringe at the thought of that "less than ideal fuel" statement. It is PPP for sure. Get 2-3 years ahead on fuel and you'll have no concerns about poor fuel. I like to be a minimum of 3 years ahead. Not only will that assure the wood will be ready, even if it is oak, but if some catastrophe should strike and you can not gather your wood some year, you will still have good wood to burn without worrying where and how you will get it. If you have good wood, 99% of the problems of wood burning will be solved.

Thanks for all the info, Dennis. A couple more questions:

Did you get any sense of when the clearances will be determined? I know they are just waiting, but this could really set back shipping dates if it goes any longer (or if it hasn't already).

You say they are planning upgrades or retrofits to the Progress. I assume these will be easily obtained and installed on the first batch that doesn't have them? Will the cost of these retrofits negate the benefit of the introductory pricing?

How are your colors down there? Ours are about done.

Thanks!

The clearances were supposed to be available but sometimes when other parties are involved things get slowed. All I can say is any day now they will know but only God knows that date. I do not feel this will affect shipping dates.

The retrofits will go to the first buyers with no problems. No negative effects.

We drove in during the dark hours to find our driveway carpeted with leaves. Beautiful indeed. However, the best part of the colors are past as lots of leaf falling has happened already. Only a very few reds showing now but it is weird that some trees are still green! It is a strange fall indeed. Rain is expected along with some wind in the next couple days so that will bring down plenty more leaves.

Norumbega said:
1. burn profile. 80,000 btus is nice, but sounds like a peak output that couldn’t be sustained for long. I’d be more interested in Woodstock's version of what Blaze King calls its real-world results: the “average†range of btus we can expect to see over a full burn-cycle, over a decent (10-12 hour) burn time.

Sorry but I do not have that information yet. Naturally one expects the peak temperature to hold for a short time and then very slowly decrease as the fuel is burned. We've found in the Fireview that we can hold well over 600 for quite some time and, of course, this depends upon the fuel.

2. specific expectable burn time. 16 hours sounds good. And other Woodstock owners suggest that their figures can be believed. But can they be more specific? How long could we expect the stove to go, damped down and with a full load of decent hardwood, maintaining a surface temperature of 300 or greater?

We will probably not know until feedback is received from the first buyers. My wife and I will plan on keeping some good records and providing feedback to Woodstock. For sure we would expect greater than 300 degrees though and would look more at 400 or above.

3. does the introduction of the secondary burn element increase the risk of run-away fires? That seems to be one disadvantage of non-cat stoves: it can be tricky to get the air mixture right when burning high enough to engage secondary combustion. No.

4. what is the current thinking about thermostat options? Todd posted from an email he received from Woodstock:
"One of our suppliers now makes a damper operator that runs on a couple of thermocouples and looks interesting.  It could close a damper to prevent over-firing, or it could open a damper to prevent oxygen starvation.  It looks interesting. Separately, we developed an algorithm that controlled a damper and a fan to pressurize the secondary air and was driven primarily by an O2 sensor.  We have applied to EPA for an SBIR grant for a related project.  One of these last two is more likely the direction we will go in."
These all sound great--any idea when one or the other might be available? And what difference in stove operation would they expect it to make?

Indeed this is something that is presently being worked on and will soon be available (hopefully in the next couple of months). Of course the difference would be a more controlled fire with less input from the operator. Only time will tell if it will mean longer burn times but I would expect that to be the case.

5. control of burn at low air settings. One of the trademark advantages of cat stoves. Todd's email also included the information that
"the new stove has a “butterfly†damper:  the butterfly has very good control of the burn rate at low firing rates."

This degree of "control" sounds great. Could they elaborate on how exactly it works? Is there similar control at higher burn rates?

I will be posting a video showing what happens. Tom and I had been discussing this and some folks walked up behind us (we were sitting in front of the Progress). I heard them talking and nudged Tom to go adjust the draft control. He did and the stove went from looking like the Pits of Hell to the flames lifting off the wood and holding at the top of the stove. Unfortunately I did not take the time to test this and watch if there was a change in stove top temperatures but you should have heard those people with the "Oh's" and "Ah's" behind us. Everyone loved it. For sure I would think this would have to give longer burns as the fire was completely off the wood and not burning so strongly. It may raise the stove top temperature though but probably decrease the total btu output.

6. related question about over-heating. Blaze King and Fireview owners often report being able to control the heat output so that, even with a full load, the stove can be kept from blasting you out of the room. From the Blaze King manual:
Many new woodstove users hesitate to load enough wood to sustain a fire, fearing that a full woodstove automatically means a hot fire. The combustion air control, set at the lowest air control setting, permits a low fire even with the firebox full. . . . The stove can be FULLY loaded without increasing the heat output. The fire will simply burn longer.

This again sounds like an extremely desirable level of control: to be able to load all the way up and not necessarily get burned out of the room. Can the Progress do this? Yes.

7. how the two burn technologies work together. Here's what the post in the blog says:
"at a medium burn rate, the secondary flames and catalytic combustor alternate depending on the conditions in the firebox."
Do they really "alternate"--i.e. switch back and forth? Or do they cooperate, so that both are functioning at the same time, and it's possible that some smoke might be captured by the secondary air and some, at more or less the same time, by the combustor?

The cat will burn what the secondary will not so I would call this cooperation rather than alternate, although it can be controlled somewhat by the draft.

8. trade-offs. What, if any, compromises the two systems have to make in order to work well together. The blog says:
"the Progress will automatically deliver unused secondary air to the combustor at lower burn rates, or allow the air to combine with gases in the firebox at higher burn rates for a spectacular secondary burn."

Is delivering unused secondary air to the combustor going to reduce the efficiency of the combustor at low settings? Or is it just what you want to help the combustor deal with all the smoke that's being generated during a smoulder?

Sorry but we ran out of room on the post I quoted from Norumbega.

Norum, sorry that I did not get to see your questions before we left for Woodstock but was informed that there was a long post so I looked for it. I hope the answers are satisfactory to you. On the last question, I do not think the efficiency will be affected at all. If the secondary did not work at all then the stove would be like the Keystone and Fireview.

Pine Knot said:
A question you might ask, and you might not get an answer to is, do they plan to provide a thermostatic draft on any future stove models. I think a good reliable automatic draft would be great improvement,cutting down on the time needed to manage our stove.
enjoy the get together.

Yes, that is a possiblity.

Remkel said:
Can you ask them if it is ok if I take the tour next weekend??????

Better timing is expected next year. Sorry you could not make it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Stump_Branch said:
Can they make a "boxwood" style stove for me...complete with stone and cat?

A boxwood style stove is in the works but no date yet.

Backwoods o hope i get to meet you one day to thank you for this wonderful news! May not sleep now. Of course the no date keeps the smile from being ear to ear. I hope its sooner rather than later. Any idea if "newer" stoves like this will have similar burn technology? Any idea on a size they have in mind? Just giddy now.

Sorry, but you will be kept in suspense for a bit. :) Most of the immediate energy will be directed to the Progress but hopefully the new things will slowly be released. If I hear more it will be posted.

Stump_Branch said:
Of course the no date keeps the smile from being ear to ear. I hope its sooner rather than later. Any idea if "newer" stoves like this will have similar burn technology? Any idea on a size they have in mind? Just giddy now.

"Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'"

Backwoods Savage said:
Norumbega said:
4. what is the current thinking about thermostat options? Todd posted from an email he received from Woodstock:
"One of our suppliers now makes a damper operator that runs on a couple of thermocouples and looks interesting.  It could close a damper to prevent over-firing, or it could open a damper to prevent oxygen starvation.  It looks interesting. Separately, we developed an algorithm that controlled a damper and a fan to pressurize the secondary air and was driven primarily by an O2 sensor.  We have applied to EPA for an SBIR grant for a related project.  One of these last two is more likely the direction we will go in."
These all sound great--any idea when one or the other might be available? And what difference in stove operation would they expect it to make?

Indeed this is something that is presently being worked on and will soon be available (hopefully in the next couple of months). Of course the difference would be a more controlled fire with less input from the operator. Only time will tell if it will mean longer burn times but I would expect that to be the case.

Finally, someone who takes my thermostat question seriously! And not just you, but evidently WS too. Glad to hear it, and also potentially how soon it might be ready.

Thanks a lot Dennis for taking the time to go through that long list--and for remembering to come back to it in the first place. You've put my mind at ease (for the time being!).

Any day now I expect somebody to start asking for an auto loader wood stove here. They did all this stuff seventy years ago. They call it a gas or oil furnace.

BrotherBart said:
Any day now I expect somebody to start asking for an auto loader wood stove here. They did all this stuff seventy years ago. They call it a gas or oil furnace.

Yes but #2 fuel oil doesnt smell as nice as cherry or oak, burning or "seasoning". My stacks look better than that tank downstairs any how...i must agree however i enjoy playing with the fire to much to warrant a thermostat...but when im not home, i could see the benefit.

Who cares did you hear they may make a boxwood stove! Finally someone else putting a cat in a shoebox stove, hello better than so-so burns out of such a smaller firebox.
Slightly off topic, are there any othe cat boxwood types stoves out there? Only one i know is the dutcheest 207cl and 209.

Stump_Branch said:
BrotherBart said:

Yes but #2 fuel oil doesnt smell as nice as cherry or oak, burning or "seasoning". My stacks look better than that tank downstairs any how...i must agree however i enjoy playing with the fire to much to warrant a thermostat...but when im not home, i could see the benefit.

Who cares did you hear they may make a boxwood stove! Finally someone else putting a cat in a shoebox stove, hello better than so-so burns out of such a smaller firebox.
Slightly off topic, are there any othe cat boxwood types stoves out there? Only one i know is the dutcheest 207cl and 209.

You might want to look into the Elm wood stove, not quite a box stove but similar. A Woodstock soapstone box stove sounds great. They could make the looks similar to the Jotul Black Bear.

Todd said:
Stump_Branch said:
BrotherBart said:

You might want to look into the Elm wood stove, not quite a box stove but similar. A Woodstock soapstone box stove sounds great. They could make the looks similar to the Jotul Black Bear.

I did after another member here mentioned it. Looks okay, not really into the tube look, but unique. Sounds like they had some issues awhile back. I see theres parts out there for them. But any stove id find is a remake so to speak. I guess so would a dutchwest...i just like the straight in line boxes, classic. I agree the black bear would be a good size, maybe a hair big, but shouldnt be complaining about that.

Looks as if ill be opening up the other flue, basement i know, but the shopping and dreaming has begun...

Status
Not open for further replies.