Heading to Woodstock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Looks like we will have around 20 hearth.com members plus wives and some children at the Open house. Hopefully some that are straddling the fence will also join us.

On heading east, where will we expect to see the best fall colors? We are expecting to go through upstate NY and northern VT and NH. Also are there some roads we should not plan on driving?

Would you guys please turn off the rain for next week and especially the weekend of the Woodstock open house? And please also don't let it snow in early October this year. I recall a big snowstorm in early October of 1987. We want no more of that.

Do any more folks care to chime in to say they will be at the Open House.

I hope the weather is nice. They are predicting pretty good weather here in NEPA for next weekend so hopefully that will stretch up to NH.
I am looking forward to meeting you buggerz... :)

Should be a good time...

It should be pretty in upstate New York and VT/NH by now, but maybe not peak color quite yet. Route 4 in VT from Rutland through Woodstock to White River Junction is a pretty drive and I understand is repaired after the flooding. Stop to see Quechee Gorge--it's beautiful.

http://www.nhtourguide.com/fall_foliage_season_report.htm

I imagine Vermont and New York must have a similar website . . . as does Maine . . . but if you've reached Maine Dennis you've missed your turn. ;)

No rain and no snow . . . my buddy and I will be camping Friday night into Saturday . . . and while he has camped in middle of the winter that's not my idea of a good time (my idea is to be at home in my own bed with the Oslo cranking.)

Hello Dennis,

I plan on getting there Friday early evening time with my wife, I hope to see you at the Baymont some time that night.

Have a safe trip

To bad I can't make it - not far away at all, but previous plan for that weekend. Colors should be getting pretty good in the next couple weeks here - the red maples are getting great color now, sugars will be a little longer. You just can beat New England in the fall, especially New Hampshire...... ;-P

20 would be great! That would over double what we had last year...of course, it was even more informal last year!

I hope I have a hat for each person....or, at least each party! After the meetup, I can provide a link in case anyone wants to order additional hats (the regular or the woodstock special edition!)......

Woodstock often has some stuff to giveaway and door prizes, so hopefully everyone can leave with some piece or another of swag.....

Route 4 through VT will be your best bet for excellent foliage and will lead you right to Lebanon NH. BUT, be prepared for some rough roads that are temporarily "fixed" with gravel/dirt. Needless to say VT is open! And many of the folks in the Irene affected areas do indeed need some economic/tourism business to help offset the cost of all the damage.

If you take the Northway (I87 in New York) from Albany i would get off in Lake George on Rte. 149 and follow that until you pick up Route 4. My wife's parents live in Albany and that is the best way we have found to travel to and fro. That way you get to see the foliage of the Adirondacks (NY) and Green Mountains (VT)... You'll be here right during peak colors too!

Here's a link to help you plan for road conditions in VT: http://crisislanding.appspot.com/?crisis=2011_flooding_vermont

Webmaster said:
20 would be great! That would over double what we had last year...of course, it was even more informal last year!

I hope I have a hat for each person....or, at least each party! After the meetup, I can provide a link in case anyone wants to order additional hats (the regular or the woodstock special edition!)......

Woodstock often has some stuff to giveaway and door prizes, so hopefully everyone can leave with some piece or another of swag.....

I'll pass on the hat if I can win a Woodstock stove . . . the hat will be for Jags anyways. ;) :)

Webmaster said:

Looks like we are right around that number Craig. There are a few possibilities for a few folks but the list I've compiled is close to 20. I think it is 18 to be exact.

Thanks for tips from those who have suggested routes. I think we'll be going into VT at the northern tip of the State but unsure from there. We'd like to take in a few side trips in both VT and NH. Naturally we'll take the south route on the way back and might try going through the Catskills as we've never driven through there before. Possibly Hwy 6 in PA.

Looking forward to meeting lots of fine folks from hearth.com and maybe even a couple that are not so nice. :)

Dennis:

You have an excellent memory for someone who splits vertically :) . I was living in Albany NY in October of '87 and remember that big snowstorm. It knocked down an enormous number of trees because of heavy,wet snow on trees that still had most of their leaves.
We will do our best out here to stop all the rain for next weekend. The long range forecast says we should be in the clear by the end of next week.

The rain has been relentless lately. I have been trying to get my chunks and uglies dry for over a month so I can cover them, but it just keeps raining every few days. Let's hope for the best, either way it will be fun next weekend.

Hey Tony, my memory is still good enough that I even remember meeting you and TJ! Looking forward to it again.

Should I wear my "Hi My Name Is: Tbuff" stcker? How much are those hats

No tbuff, you should wear regular clothing. :bug:

firefighterjake said:
http://www.nhtourguide.com/fall_foliage_season_report.htm

I imagine Vermont and New York must have a similar website . . . as does Maine . . . but if you've reached Maine Dennis you've missed your turn. ;)

No rain and no snow . . . my buddy and I will be camping Friday night into Saturday . . . and while he has camped in middle of the winter that's not my idea of a good time (my idea is to be at home in my own bed with the Oslo cranking.)
Ill be hiking/camping thursday into sunday in the adirondacks. so i wont make it.. but camping in the winter is fun!! warming up by a fire when its 3 degrees out is fun!.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 407
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 404
I hope you guys all have a wonderful time :)

I lived in Bennington & Shaftsbury, this time of year is gorgeous !!!!! Enjoy it's beauty, and each others company ! Can't wait for pics :p

Eco - camping when it's 3degrees??!! Hope you have a tent sized BK and a roof jack for that tent so you don't turn into an ice cube! :bug:

Dennis- routes 88 and 86 through the lower part of NY usually offer some spectacular views especially in the finger lakes area.

Dennis, count me and the wife in. Her interest was piqued when I mentioned that there were soapstone handwarmers there last year. Hats would be neat, as I just threw my Red Sox hat into the closet for the year. We are looking forward to meeting everyone there. We should be there Saturday between 11 am - 2 pm. I too am hoping for good weather. If this warm and humid pattern continues, I would rule out cold weather. It would be nice to have crisp New England fall day that we are usually having about now.

Dennis,

I can't recommend RT6 in PA enough - I've worked along the majority of the highway and LOVE the central and western areas - Potter County especially - please do it if you have the chance!

Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Dennis,

I can't recommend RT6 in PA enough - I've worked along the majority of the highway and LOVE the central and western areas - Potter County especially - please do it if you have the chance!

Cheers!
potter county? i used to live close to there. i remember as a kid going to the potter county fair is that where ur talking about?

ecocavalier02 said:
NH_Wood said:
Dennis,

Cheers!
potter county? i used to live close to there. i remember as a kid going to the potter county fair is that where ur talking about?

Those in the area jokingly call Potter county "god's country",,,, because nobody else wanted it! When you drive through you'll see that it's beautiful and relatively untouched if you choose that route.

As far as foliage, I can't speak for up north but I can say this is the dreariest fall I've ever seen here in Pa. Soooo much rain has the trees just plain dropping leaves w/out them turning their normal colors unfortunately. Maybe some dry weather next week will help, but the early colors just aren't there.

Look forward to seeing everyone in NH w/ or w/out scenery on the way!

pen

pen said:
Those in the area jokingly call Potter county "god's country",,,, because nobody else wanted it!

In Texas we called it God's country because when we talked to him it was a local call. I just talked to my relatives down there and the three leaves fell yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.