Heading to Woodstock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ecocavalier02 said:
NH_Wood said:
Dennis,

I can't recommend RT6 in PA enough - I've worked along the majority of the highway and LOVE the central and western areas - Potter County especially - please do it if you have the chance!

Cheers!
potter county? i used to live close to there. i remember as a kid going to the potter county fair is that where ur talking about?

Probably - I stayed in the town of Gaines for a few weeks, working on a project - would love to buy a little camp in the hills. As you enter Potter Co., there is a big sign the say's "Entering God's Country". At least if you are heading west. Cheers!

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks for tips from those who have suggested routes. I think we'll be going into VT at the northern tip of the State but unsure from there. We'd like to take in a few side trips in both VT and NH. Naturally we'll take the south route on the way back and might try going through the Catskills as we've never driven through there before. Possibly Hwy 6 in PA.

Looking forward to meeting lots of fine folks from hearth.com and maybe even a couple that are not so nice. :)

I love giving and getting direction

I hope none of you run into this on your trip

We have an old saying in Maine about certain directions

Bert and I are classic comedy team
They did great imitation of "downeast " accent
East west travel in northern new England is slow circuitous notoriously painful
In one of their skits a tourist asks directions
To remote town due east or west

The halting answer is something like
"well you could take route 2 over to 26 through Farmington
But no.... That won't do. On the other hand you could travel route 1 to Belfast
And then ..... No no
Maybe you could try 32 over to 111.......
No..... Mmmmmmmm
Come to think of it YOU CANT GET THERE FROM HERE!"

Will the color out east be anything like this picture which was taken in MI?

CutRiverBridge.jpg

macmaine said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks for tips from those who have suggested routes. I think we'll be going into VT at the northern tip of the State but unsure from there. We'd like to take in a few side trips in both VT and NH. Naturally we'll take the south route on the way back and might try going through the Catskills as we've never driven through there before. Possibly Hwy 6 in PA.

Looking forward to meeting lots of fine folks from hearth.com and maybe even a couple that are not so nice. :)

I love giving and getting direction

I hope none of you run into this on your trip

We have an old saying in Maine about certain directions

Bert and I are classic comedy team
They did great imitation of "downeast " accent
East west travel in northern new England is slow circuitous notoriously painful
In one of their skits a tourist asks directions
To remote town due east or west

The halting answer is something like
"well you could take route 2 over to 26 through Farmington
But no.... That won't do. On the other hand you could travel route 1 to Belfast
And then ..... No no
Maybe you could try 32 over to 111.......
No..... Mmmmmmmm
Come to think of it YOU CANT GET THERE FROM HERE!"

Or how about the traveler who came to a low and muddy spot in the road. Two young lads were there and he asked, "Does that have a good bottom to it?" The boys told him yes that it did. So he drove into it and promptly got stuck. Mad, he started hollering at the boys, "I thought you said it had a good bottom!" The boys said, "It does. You just have not got down to it yet."

Backwoods Savage said:

CutRiverBridge.jpg

Wow Dennis that is a spectacular picture of peak Fall Colors and it is now my desktop background!!

Ray

Backwoods Savage said:

CutRiverBridge.jpg

Can only speak for central NY, but, no, we are not looking like that at all. This has been the drabbest year so far that I can remember. But that is truly one gorgeous pic, thanks for posting, think it will have to do me for this year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks for tips from those who have suggested routes. I think we'll be going into VT at the northern tip of the State but unsure from there.

My neck of the woods!
I won't be able to make the gathering, but may i suggest a good leaf peeping route?
Take Route 104 out of St. Albans to Route 15 (there is the Boyden Valley winery at this intersection), and then head east on Rte. 15. Now you can stay on 15 which will take you to the Northeast Kingdom area of Vermont (rugged isolated area with not much traditional tourism), OR take VT 108 which takes you up through Smuggler's Notch and then dumps you out in Stowe on the other side of Mt. Mansfield. This is a beautiful drive... but the road does get pretty steep, narrow, and twisty - then you can pick up Route 100 in Stowe and go south to Waterbury (Ben & Jerry's) and beyond (the Mad River Valley).
OR
You can just get on interstate 89 in St. Albans and go south and stop in Burlington, Montpelier, and other areas as you make your way to the Woodstock factory which is right off of I89 in NH. But i would recommend taking the smaller state roads to really experience VT/NH during foliage season.

Here too Hollowhill. I think it is all the rain we have had here in Nepa.
My yard looks like crap. The leaves just turned brown and fell off and are now covering the entire yard and driveway.
Mr Gamma is going to try to clean it up today but it is calling for rain again and cleaning up those leaves when wet is almost impossible.
BTW, I will make sure to take some good picks of the new woodstock stove for you. I love to take pics.. :cheese:
Anybody else requesting pics of anything in particular? :)

Backwoods Savage said:

CutRiverBridge.jpg

Should be peak colors by next weekend in the mountains of central VT. Not quite there in the Champlain Valley (western side of the state).

GAMMA RAY said:
Here too Hollowhill. I think it is all the rain we have had here in Nepa.
My yard looks like crap. The leaves just turned brown and fell off and are now covering the entire yard and driveway.
Mr Gamma is going to try to clean it up today but it is calling for rain again and cleaning up those leaves when wet is almost impossible.
BTW, I will make sure to take some good picks of the new woodstock stove for you. I love to take pics.. :cheese:
Anybody else requesting pics of anything in particular? :)

I think you're right on the rain. On the plus side, have had a bumper crop of butternuts. Have developed an unhealthy obsession with harvesting them, go out several times a day and have amassed a ton of them. Now, as to what I'll do with this "windfall" remains to be seen. But, it has distracted me from the pitiful state of the yard, I gave up on trying to rake up the leaves years ago. Raining here, yet again, too. Thanks for the pics in advance, each and every one will be scrutinized incessantly, I assure you. I have been thinking of suggesting to Woodstock that they set up a webcam to moniter the burns of the Progress, like breeders do with their puppies! I'd be glued!!! Glad you're going to represent the "softer" (hah!) side of hearth.com! Enjoy!

Up here in northeastern Ma, the majority of the trees are still green. I have only see color change a little in swamps and river bottoms. I still think we are a few weeks away from real color. It does seem late this year. I usually have the heat on this time of year, so I am not complaining. I have faith that we will have fall color yet. I just want some cool dry days to clean up the yard. I have never seen so many mushrooms in people's yards around here.

You all have a great time and behave yourselves. Something came up and I can't make it. Some day I will definitely make the trip.

fishingpol said:
Up here in northeastern Ma, the majority of the trees are still green. I have only see color change a little in swamps and river bottoms. I still think we are a few weeks away from real color. It does seem late this year. I usually have the heat on this time of year, so I am not complaining. I have faith that we will have fall color yet. I just want some cool dry days to clean up the yard. I have never seen so many mushrooms in people's yards around here.

Quite a few shrooms growing on my lawn here in SE Mass. too..

Ray

Todd said:
behave yourselves. .

I will try my hardest...promise... :)

raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Wow Dennis that is a spectacular picture of peak Fall Colors and it is now my desktop background!!

Ray

That's strange Ray. What do you suppose is on my desktop?

Fishingpol, looking forward to meeting you at Woodstock.

fishingpol said:
Dennis, count me and the wife in. Her interest was piqued when I mentioned that there were soapstone handwarmers there last year. Hats would be neat, as I just threw my Red Sox hat into the closet for the year. We are looking forward to meeting everyone there. We should be there Saturday between 11 am - 2 pm. I too am hoping for good weather. If this warm and humid pattern continues, I would rule out cold weather. It would be nice to have crisp New England fall day that we are usually having about now.

Keep that Red Sox hat out for a few more weeks....and then just throw it in the FIRE! :lol:

Go YANKS!! ;-P

Backwoods Savage said:
raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Ray

That's strange Ray. What do you suppose is on my desktop?

Fishingpol, looking forward to meeting you at Woodstock.

Lawn mushrooms? :)

Ray

For folks planning to drive through Vermont, particularly from west to east, bookmark this map of road closures http://vthb.carsprogram.org/main.jsf

It looks as though most of the cross-state major roads are open except for 73, but many of them will have construction delays made worse by weekend traffic and we hope a lot of leaf peepers next weekend, so prepared to be patient and build in time for delays. Also watch out if you're planning to come up Rte 100, one of the more beautiful roads in the state but an area very hard hit by the storm, with the road under repair in multiple places.

The weather has been absolutely abysmal since Irene, rain, rain, rain and more rain. The conventional wisdom has been that because of all that rain from Irene and the following week, we'd have an especially colorful fall foliage season, but it sure isn't looking like that right now. My own sugar maples are muddy brown instead of their normal glorious red, and the rain is bringing a lot of leaves down early. Pooh.

If you have a choice, taking a northern route across the state, as Dennis suggests, is clearly your best bet. There was almost no storm damage up there, and it should be in full fall color.

Mrs. Flatbedford and I should be there Friday early evening. Staying at the Baymount. We plan to spend Saturday night too. My mother-in-law is going in for hip replacement surgery on Monday so there always is the chance that plans could change. I'll have my laptop with me so I can be reached by PM up there. Maybe we could also PM cell numbers to arrange a Friday night trip to the brewery down the road. We had a pretty good lunch there when we picked up the Fireview in '09.

Here's hoping someone at the meetup gets some pictures at the factory. It should be a nice weekend.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like we will have around 20 hearth.com members plus wives and some children at the Open house. Hopefully some that are straddling the fence will also join us.

On heading east, where will we expect to see the best fall colors? We are expecting to go through upstate NY and northern VT and NH. Also are there some roads we should not plan on driving?

Would you guys please turn off the rain for next week and especially the weekend of the Woodstock open house? And please also don't let it snow in early October this year. I recall a big snowstorm in early October of 1987. We want no more of that.

Do any more folks care to chime in to say they will be at the Open House.

Sav; make sure you and the Mrs. swing by if your heading this way, I'll have the rhino full of gas an ready to go. I have a nice leaner al set for you.

zap

The Dixie Cups say:

Goin' to Woodstock
And we're gonna get caps and stuff
Goin' to Woodstock
And we're gonna get Super Cedars and stuff
Gee, I really love that soapstone
And we're going to the chapel of love

Have a great time y'all! Here's more for your soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdsRWhyH30

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.
By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a dozen strong,
And everywhere was song and celebration."

And...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHIAvXsx4XQ
"Oh don't it get you
Get you when you're through
Feel the breezes blowing all around your coat
Oh don't it get you
When you gotta roam
Hear the children singing
'Daddy's coming home'

Going down to old old woodstock
Feel the cool night breeze
Going down to give my baby a squeeze
Feel the cool night breeze
Way behind the shady trees"

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like we will have around 20 hearth.com members plus wives and some children at the Open house. Hopefully some that are straddling the fence will also join us.

On heading east, where will we expect to see the best fall colors? We are expecting to go through upstate NY and northern VT and NH. Also are there some roads we should not plan on driving?

Would you guys please turn off the rain for next week and especially the weekend of the Woodstock open house? And please also don't let it snow in early October this year. I recall a big snowstorm in early October of 1987. We want no more of that.

Do any more folks care to chime in to say they will be at the Open House.

Sav; make sure you and the Mrs. swing by if your heading this way, I'll have the rhino full of gas an ready to go. I have a nice leaner al set for you.

zap

Okay Zap but the wife says you'll have to hide the camera. We'll see you in a couple days.

Backwoods Savage said:

CutRiverBridge.jpg

If you take out all of the red, yellow and orange color; it would look very similar to NJ... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.