what stove brand??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I an looking into a Quadrafire, lopi, or jodel free standing wood stove. House is 1,500 square feet. it will be my primary heat and was wondering what direction i should head in? any useful information would be appreaciated!!

Where in the house is it going to be? A good start would be if your going to need radiant or convection heat. Are you looking for overnight burns?

Chrism said:
I an looking into a Quadrafire, lopi, or jodel free standing wood stove. House is 1,500 square feet. it will be my primary heat and was wondering what direction i should head in? any useful information would be appreaciated!!

Floorplan, location the stove will be place, quality of insulation and windows, and how you plan on burning (primary heater? supplementing? Nights and weekends?) are all needed before we can comment.

If it were "me".........I'd steer towards the Lopi........only because I've had a real sense of satisfaction (overall) with the Travis Industries product line.
Not to mention how friendly and helpful they've been, when I've called them for info..

-Soupy1957

I would go with the Quad - cuz I've never had to call them for info. :lol:

Edit: in all fairness - you have just named 3 big players in the game. Each has their own merit.

ok right now I have a small house 800 square ft. I am putting on an addition will be 1600 sq. I will be using as primary heat I will be loading it up in the morning and night and wanting it to burn till the morning will be pretty much going 24/7 ( I goto bed at 12 am to 2 am) floor plan will be pretty open except for the bedrooms I would have to come up with some way to move the air which will be in the new addition from kitchen dining and living room area to the bed rooms. the stove placement will be caddy corner and blowing towards the areas we occupy . I think I covered everything for you guys to help me in making a decision. Thanks again!! Also am i better off going with a bigger stove than what i really need? and 1 more thing i have a fireplace now and when that gets going and i put the blower motor on it gets to 83 degrees and im in heaven!! i like the room nice and hot, i want to hang out in basketball shorts and a T-shirt on my couch and watch the boob tube and not be cold when its 12 degrees out lol.

Chrism said:
Also am i better off going with a bigger stove than what i really need?

Everyone will soon jump in and tell you to get a bigger stove than you think you will need. I'll go first and tell you that you'll get your cleanest and most efficient burns using a stove that is perfectly sized for your average heating needs. The few days you really need a bit more heat, plug in an electric space heater, or plug yourself into a sweater. The proper size stove is a lot easier to run day in, day out. Best advice is to figure your exact heating needs and go one size bigger, as in going from a 2 cu.ft. firebox to a 2.5 cu.ft. box. If you really feel you need to get a mongo big a$$ stove, consider a cat stove. They "tame" better for low output burns.

If the eventual goal is to heat 2400 sq ft, go for a 3 cu ft stove. Location of the stove will be important. If you can post a rough sketch of the floorplan, we can talk a bit about convective heat flow. There are several 3 cu ft stoves to choose from. The Jotul 600 or Quad Isle Royale will be much more radiant. A Quad 4100, Lopi Liberty, PE Summit, will be more convective.

BeGreen said:
If the eventual goal is to heat 2400 sq ft, go for a 3 cu ft stove.

I misunderstood, thought he was putting on an additional 800 sq.ft for a 1600 sq,ft total.

i was actually looking at this stove

http://www.quadrafire.com/en/Products/4300-Millennium-Wood-Stove.aspx

right now i will be heating only 800 sq ft but i will be heating 1600 sq ft.

what is better radiant heat or convective? i know radiant heat warms objects in the room and convective makes the air hot but either way wont eveything get hot???????????? i dont know just asking

Yes, until you get the addition on, the stove will be overkill. If this is a long way off, I would get a smaller stove for now. Floor plan will help determine what is most appropriate but in a small space I would guess that closer clearances may be important. If so, a convective stove will be better.

is there a way to tell if a stove can handle 24/7 burning ?

Chrism said:

Pretty much any stove will handle 24/7 burning. It is EASIER to burn 24/7 in a stove with long burn times.
Some stoves will handle it longer than others. If you are looking to burn 24/7, look for a heavily-built stove. The 450 lb. stoves will last longer than the 300 lb. stoves. If looking at a plate steel stove, look for one with a firebox at least 1/4" thick on the sides, and 5/16" thick on top.
Also look for a stove with a replaceable baffle. Some of the cheaper stoves don't have a baffle that can be replaced, and when the baffle is done, the stove is done. If the stove has a lifetime warranty on the baffle and firebox, then this isn't an issue.

The PE Super 27, or Alderlea T-5 would likely work well in your situation. They also have close installation clearances, so it won't stick WAY out into your living room.

Chrism said:

It's more of a "Can you handle burning a stove 24/7". The smaller the stove, the shorter the time is between reloads.

For 1600 square feet in Eastern PA you are kind of in between a Jotul Castine and an Oslo. I like it rather warm, so if it was me, I would go with an Oslo. But, again, I like it warm.

ok right now I have a small house 800 square ft. I am putting on an addition will be 1600 sq.

I may be misinterpreting this, please clarify. Will the finished house be 1600 or 2400 sq ft?

BrowningBAR said:
For 1600 square feet in Eastern PA you are kind of in between a Jotul Castine and an Oslo. I like it rather warm, so if it was me, I would go with an Oslo. But, again, I like it warm.

+1 on the Oslo. All 3 brands you mention have very good reputations, however, having an Oslo makes me partial I guess. We have had no problems whatsoever with ours, and our company liked it so much that a good friend got an Oslo too, and my brother got a Castine. All the Jotuls seem to do their job very effectively (just need seasoned wood and a little time to adjust to getting the stove to hit the sweet spot). Good luck with your decision. At least all your options seem to be fine stoves.
PS. We burn our Oslo 24/7 and our longest burn times have been up to 12 hours with full loads of oak and cherry.

BeGreen said:
ok right now I have a small house 800 square ft. I am putting on an addition will be 1600 sq.

I may be misinterpreting this, please clarify. Will the finished house be 1600 or 2400 sq ft?

is the oslo radiant or convection ?

the only problem i might have with the Isle Royale is clearences need something to be tucked in the corner as much as possible

Double wall pipe, angled into the corner is 6" clearance to the corners of the stove. It don't get any closer than that. Now if you have it square in the corner - its a different thing.

would be caddy corner

also it is a radiant stove right? i have a 15 month old who just started walking and touches everything im a little nervous cause if im not mistaken the outside of the stove gets crazy hot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.