1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What would you do?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Shelbylyn, Sep 12, 2013.

1. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    We have vents in the ceilings in the old part of the house where the kids' bedroom is above. That works OK, gravity and all that being our friend. We wanted to add those same register/vents to the addition, since the woodstove is in there and let's face it, kids end up in our bed too half the time, so that room should be warm. HOWEVER I learned that this is a HUGE no no in terms of modern day firecode. Which makes sense if you think about it. So I'm leaving the existing ones, but not adding any more.

Be optimistic by all means! But I wanted to throw in my $.02 before you do your installation to think hard about where you could put that stove and how you'll circulate the air if you put it where you say - 'cause for me, it doesn't work and I found out the hard way once the 700 lb stove was installed.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Ed Williams

Ed Williams New Member

You could approximate this installation, but tap into a liner tee near the ceiling height in the FP chimney, avoiding running new chimney through the second floor, and less expensive than lining all the way down to the lintel. This assumes the FP chimney is in good enough shape to put a liner in the top portion. Also, you would get more usable heat via the tall connector pipe. Single wall connector provides more heat, and less cost if you can provide 18" clearance from pipe to combustibles. If you need double wall/close clearance connector pipe, cost may be a wash, or a bit higher this way. Given the brick up the wall, I really like this look.