What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creekheat

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2014
Ny
So my wife and I are looking to maximize our heat, conserve wood, and keep the house somewhat consistant. Our stove a Jotul F55 works great we love it. Our wood is dry and seasoned at 20% mc or less we live in KY. Our house is semi open with big ceilings heating 2100sqft which the stove easily does. Our question is this:

What type of schedule would you follow considering these facts:
I get up at 3:30am leave at 4:45am for work. Get home at 4:45pm

My wife gets up at 6. Leaves at 7:30 and gets home at 4:30.

We would lbe to find the best schedule and we realize nothing is perfect just trying to find the sweet spot. Thanks!!!

I doubt anybody can answer that question for you because each combination of stove, wood, climate, house, preferences, etc., is unique.

What I would do is experiment, frankly, until I learned the stove well enough to understand how it performs and what kind of schedule would work for you guys.

You might have more luck with this question if you describe what you're doing now and what the result has been.

I've had half a dozen different Jotuls or so. They make a top notch product!

I looked at a lot of stoves and this was perfect for us. Jotul makes one of the best quality products and the steel/cast combo was functional and beautiful

on a full load, how many hours are you getting out of the stove? when do you guys normally go to bed? maybe you can run on a 8 hour schedule depending on outside temps.
ideally you want to have the house the warmest when your guys are there.
my first suggestion would be, find another job that you don't have to wake up at 3:30am!!!! props to you, that's early. I hate it when I have to get up at 5:30 am.
I would think that your wife should load the fire before she leaves from work, either one of you partial to full load it when you get home from work (depending on outside temps again), then fill it before bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.