What's eating my Honey Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
What a mess! Something has been boring into my HL and the dust from it is hardened on all the splits around it. Between removing the mess from other woods and sorting out the HL so I didn't bring whatever is inside into the garage it added quite a bit of time to this past weekend's wood staging chores. What is this lover of HL?

If it is a tiny, perfectly round hole about the size of the small mechanical pencil lead, it could very well be powder post beetles.
A pic would help.

Something like this?
ppb5.jpg

Reactions: Applesister
Thanks for the replies. I leave and get home in the dark these days during the week (cue violins) but will take a pic this weekend. These holes are BTU-robbers in size. What has me scratching my head is that it is specific to HL. Except for the mess from the dust the other wood types are left alone. I thought there would be something like the Ash borer that went only for HL.

If they are large holes it is probably the asian longhorn beetle. But there are also several others that can make a home in your wood.

What a mess! Something has been boring into my HL and the dust from it is hardened on all the splits around it. Between removing the mess from other woods and sorting out the HL so I didn't bring whatever is inside into the garage it added quite a bit of time to this past weekend's wood staging chores. What is this lover of HL?
I had the same issue with my HL, but after the wood dried out some the little buggers seemed to have moved on. You could actually hear them munching if you listened close. They sure left a mess behind!
Just think of the their holes as tunnels for extra air flow...speedy drying ;lol

Reactions: Andy S.
Status
Not open for further replies.