whats needed to sell house with wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might think about trying another lawyer too - sounds like he might have the buyers interests before yours.
Or you could just have it inspected and bring it up to code. That means do everything the instructions say to do if it says you need more supports you need them if it says you need locking bands you need them. There is no way for us to know what you need without knowing what pipe you used.

I used supervent from lowes.
Town says i needed permit and inspection, lawyers say oh you dont want the town to come out they will look for everything. I do have a pool thats coming down and maybe some other stuff they wouldnt notice.
Maybe i can get the permit and have a sweep sign off on it idk guess ill ask....

Do the instructions say you need locking bands? If they do then you need them. Do the instructions say that you need another support? If so then you need it. At this point you need to find out what the town wants you to do in order to make things right.

Or you could just have it inspected and bring it up to code. That means do everything the instructions say to do if it says you need more supports you need them if it says you need locking bands you need them. There is no way for us to know what you need without knowing what pipe you used.

Certainly agreed that code violations would need fixing. But in reading, it didn't seem clear there were any - more like differences of opinion on what could be done. Maybe doing the permit is the only way to be sure of that - or a documented sweep inspection/report. I put mine together with the bands. That was 20 years ago so my memory isn't clear - but I think was just following instructions when I did it.

If the buyer and lawyer are giving you grief, what about removing the stove, capping the ceiling mount or wall thimble and selling the house without a stove?

Certainly agreed that code violations would need fixing. But in reading, it didn't seem clear there were any - more like differences of opinion on what could be done. Maybe doing the permit is the only way to be sure of that - or a documented sweep inspection/report. I put mine together with the bands. That was 20 years ago so my memory isn't clear - but I think was just following instructions when I did it.
I agree there may be no violations at all that is why i said have it inspected first. As far as the bands go some brands require it some don't you just need to follow the instructions.

Im gonna get the permit and call them for inspection. 1st ill get a 2nd support up and find the chimney paper work.

I could remove stove and chimney but they want me to pay them for it and leave it! They wanna build a big garage in a yard that wont fit, so they wanna make sure its on the co or they will have it done but with me paying them off.

Hopfully i get this new house that will be getting an insert asap. Started looking and we still havnt agreed on a house price yet!

Sounds like they want any assets the house may have and are just jerking your chain. I would do the minimum necessary. Their future plans are their problems and may just be dreams. Don't make them yours.

Remove the stove and chimney, call it a $5,000.00 "improvement".
:)

I pulled a permit and had a licensed "PRO" put in a chimney. They used a chase pass through in the ceiling with no shroud to hold back the attic insulation. The inspector was happy with it. I kept my mouth shut and just fixed it when everyone was gone.

Sometimes all you are doing is going through the motions of the money flowing through the right hands.

Reactions: Wildo
Im gonna get the permit and call them for inspection. 1st ill get a 2nd support up and find the chimney paper work.

I could remove stove and chimney but they want me to pay them for it and leave it! They wanna build a big garage in a yard that wont fit, so they wanna make sure its on the co or they will have it done but with me paying them off.

Hopfully i get this new house that will be getting an insert asap. Started looking and we still havnt agreed on a house price yet!

You're far more tolerant with these buyers than I would have been.

You're far more tolerant with these buyers than I would have been.

We just hate the neighborhood, went down hill. When they were looking at it, the lady behind us was dropping f bombs at her husband! My wife put music on...

Status
Not open for further replies.