What's that smell? Oh Sh*t, the dogs on fire!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ksracer

Nov 25, 2019
Wichita KS
So, I was quietly sitting in front of my Madison watching the flames when my big dumb mastiff tried to squeeze in where she didn't fit, namely between my chair and the stoves door. She tried to turn around and got stuck with her butt wedged firmly against the glass! She's ok, I don't think she even felt it, but her hair is all singed and it stunk horribly. I've got 3 more mutts that aren't much smarter, and I'm afraid one of them is going to put their nose on the glass or even try to lick it.
Are there any protective grills that can be added to the door or standing screens that could be placed in front? Or do they eventually figure it out on their own without getting seriously hurt first?

I'd p ut t a gate, my dogs not all that smart either. I remember one member telling us his dog bumped his anus into the stove, ouch.

My cat loves the stove. Sometimes he bumps up against the ashlip fondly then turns around and singes his tail on the glass.

Reactions: Lumberjack
My dog loves the stove!

Attachments

• 20191213_012635.jpg
    20191213_012635.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 241
My current dogs all seem to understand what hot means and keep a respectful distance from the stove. We had a mastiff a few years ago and she always stayed away from it. I have never needed a barrier with dogs. Maybe just a freak thing because your chair was so close.

Reactions: Ksracer
Each of my kids only touched it once, they learn what hot is really quick. I’d think a dog would be the same way.

Reactions: Sawset

Attachments

• 6072A805-8D49-48AD-9A98-E0774701404E.jpeg
    6072A805-8D49-48AD-9A98-E0774701404E.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: weatherguy
My beagle is definitely not the brightest and he learned quickly.

Glad your dog wasn't hurt, but when I saw the title of your post I did laugh ;-)

Dogs will figure it out. They will move away if things get too hot for them.

My grandmother had a cocker spaniel who liked to go underneath the wood stove when it was burning. Her fur would be too hot to touch on top when she came out. (That dog was a freak; I've never seen any other dog do that.)

Reactions: webby3650
Our dobbie loved the fire too.

Attachments

• 9677A43F-524E-4644-8459-CCCF6D97FB6B.jpeg
    9677A43F-524E-4644-8459-CCCF6D97FB6B.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: Grizzerbear
My wife rejected the idea that the kids would only get burned by the stove once. We have the same fence as can be seen in Espartaco's photo. It's actually quite convenient for hanging clothing to dry or warm up - gloves and wet socks, PJ's before bedtime, etc.

Good to hear the pooch is OK. Years ago, we had two old cats who would lounge in front of the stove and snooze and a young cat who loved to torment them. One night, the youngster thought the top of the stove would be a good base to launch an attack on the unsuspecting nappers. Long story short...we had to take a late night trip to the emergency vet clinic to treat her pads. The old cats were still sleeping in front of the stove when we got back. Cats are heartless.

My cat loves the stove. Sometimes he bumps up against the ashlip fondly then turns around and singes his tail on the glass.

haha....too funny.....our cats singe their tails on the glass too.....feel bad for them but it does't hurt them, just stinks.

when our last lab was a puppy (8weeks) it was the dead of winter. on the first day in the house he walked up to the stove smelling it. got closer and closer till his nose touched the glass. we heard an audible, but momentary sizzling sound before he snapped his head back. 14 years never an issue. he loved to camp out in front.

they learn.

YAH ... one would THINK the beast would learn.

I'd get one one o' them old fashion meshes that
go the length of the opening. Dunno if they're
easy to find these days. Easy to knock over tho.

Our American Foxhound tried to get in between the back of our stove and hearth when we first got the F600 installed. I simply placed some obstacles that would deter that behavior. I put an old family cast iron iron and some soapstone blocks in the space and that stopped the behavior. She never gets dangerously close to the front or sides of the stove during operation.

I'm worried one of the cats is going to attack when I'm using the laser thermometer...they both eye it when it's in use, but they also know the stove is hot. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: Ashful
The mastiff dog club of America said that Mastiffs where as smart as a whip.
Yeah, they are but that doesn't stop them from wanting to sit in your lap and drool all over you.
Ours HATED the heat, in fact we wouldn't have gotten an air conditioner except for her needing it.