When does everyone start their stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Got my first 2 fires for heating in this weekend. I’d previously had 2 hot, small ones to cure some paint where I repainted the stovetop. It’s better to cure it before you need the heat and the windows are closed!

Reactions: Ashful
I think Tuesday will be my start date. Calling for 30’s and maybe a frost at night. 66 today.

Last 2 mornings were in the mid 40's so I fired up the F45 with one moderately loaded up starter fire each day. Temps here are predicted(guessed) to vary greatly the next 10 days. A couple nights in the high 30's then Indian Summer for a few days. Looks like a more sustained cool period "predicted" starting around 1 November.

I'm short on wood this year, but what I have is better seasoned than usual, so will hopefully use/ waste less. The Mini splits are taking the chill off nicely for now.
I can burn some pallet wood and stuff for some short evening ambiance. Probably wait till mid November for a real fire.

Reactions: Itslay90
I'm short on wood this year, but what I have is better seasoned than usual, so will hopefully use/ waste less. The Mini splits are taking the chill off nicely for now.
I can burn some pallet wood and stuff for some short evening ambiance. Probably wait till mid November for a real fire.
i been burning since oct 1, for the shoulder season

im very upset in 1 way and very happy in another....

I thought for sure i would have started the stove a couple weeks ago cause it was going to be cooler that weekend.
But its never been cooler then 72 in the basement family room, so no stove yet. That said its been one of the nicest falls we have had in at least 5 years. lol

Moved another cord of wood today... twice. But now my wood rack on high ground next to the barn is filled with a fresh cord of mixed red oak, hickory, and ash, with even a few sticks of walnut scattered in. If I need to replenish the wagon parked at the house, and it's been too warm and wet to drive a tractor with trailer down to the wood lot without making a mess, I pull from this cord stored up by the barn.

IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1105.JPG

I'll be burning all wood split fall 2019 this fall into winter, it's been 4 summers drying under roof.

IMG_1104.JPG

Reactions: qwee and Itslay90
For me, it's based on draw. Any outdoor temp much over 40 and the stove is somewhat harder to light and get burning cleanly than if the temp is lower. Yes, I can deal with it and do a fire if we really want one, but it seems like a waste of wood and is likely to force us to open windows.

-dan

Well, looks like it's time. It's snowing today and we are expecting daytime highs below freezing for the next 14 days.

Stoves been going for a couple weeks now off and on, going to be a daily occurence from here on in.

For me, it's based on draw. Any outdoor temp much over 40 and the stove is somewhat harder to light and get burning cleanly than if the temp is lower. Yes, I can deal with it and do a fire if we really want one, but it seems like a waste of wood and is likely to force us to open windows.

-dan
Agree so mild in Mass. I light my first Monday night Tuesday morning. Calling for 38. I usually wait until 40 and under. Mini splits take the edge off if needed.

That’s not bad, do you have a epa wood burning stove?
Yep! A dueling pair of Blaze King Ashford 30.1's. Prior to 2015, it was a rotating trio of Jotul Firelight 12's. We also have a gas stove heater, gas fireplace, gas wall furnace, oil-fired boiler with six zones, four separate HVAC systems, and a few zones of electric baseboard. Everything but our own nuke plant.

Hauled maybe 3/4 cord of 15' logs home from a neighbor's this morning, stuff I had left stacked there in 2021, until we stirred up some yellowjackets and had to abandon moving the rest until a good freeze comes. Then split and stacked about 3/4 cord of heavy wet oak with a punky outer sapwood. Shoulders are hurting, a reminder my remaining years at this pace may be numbered.

Last edited:
Had my first fire this morning. 38 so it was time. Downstairs was 65 so could have used mini split but been wanting a fire. Had the awful chemical smell from dust sitting on the stove all summer. Had to open some windows. Ran hot about 625 STT good secondary burn so should get better next burn. I hope 😊

Reactions: danham
First fire of the season today. The temp went from 43 to 37 in one hour by 6 am this morning so I fired up the stove with a 3/4 load. Just reloaded it 12 hrs. later. The stove was at 280º and this is what was left in the firebox. The reload took off instantly. I only put on 3 splits. Will put in some more around 10pm for the overnight burn.

IMG_4024.jpg

First fire of the season today. The temp went from 43 to 37 in one hour by 6 am this morning so I fired up the stove with a 3/4 load. Just reloaded it 12 hrs. later. The stove was at 280º and this is what was left in the firebox. The reload took off instantly. I only put on 3 splits. Will put in some more around 10pm for the overnight burn.

View attachment 317497
Was your air control close all the way, when you got this long burn.

About 3/4s to 7/8s closed. The daytime temps rose to about 43 so the draft was just good, but not as strong as it would be at 30º and this was not a full load of Doug fir firewood.

We have an electric furnace set to 68, so our first fire is always the first night below freezing. Everyone loves the day the stove gets going lol. That day is Sunday night...our first lows in the 20s.

First fire a week or so ago, but it was in the low 80s yesterday here, a record high. Several days before that in the 70s, so it's been a while since I've lit the stove. Back to normal today though, which is fine with me. Will have a fire tonight.