When does everyone start their stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some real cold coming mid-week. Time to get the irrigation system decommissioned and blown dry.

Turn off your outside spigots tomorrow, anyone without frost-proof rigs!

It’s times like these I wish I had the princess insert instead of the Buck 80 especially with the temperature swings @Ashful and I get in the Philly suburbs. As it’s gonna go back to the mid 60s late in the week. I hate letting the stove go out and starting again a few times in a week.

Reactions: Ashful
About 3/4s to 7/8s closed. The daytime temps rose to about 43 so the draft was just good, but not as strong as it would be at 30º and this was not a full load of Doug fir firewood.
I tried it last night and the stove was throwing out serious heat. I forgot to asked. Did you have your blower on ?

Thanks to the wood stove I haven't had the furnace on for heat yet this season. Will set it tonight to go on tomorrow morning on the timed schedule for about an hour, then heading to work. So, I got through October without it.

Thanks to the wood stove I haven't had the furnace on for heat yet this season. Will set it tonight to go on tomorrow morning on the timed schedule for about an hour, then heading to work. So, I got through October without it.
Same here in Mass. I have not used the NG heat yet. Just checked it to make sure all zones were calling. We have used the mini splits for heat during the shoulder season. Just started using the stove since getting into the 30’s.

Yep! A dueling pair of Blaze King Ashford 30.1's. Prior to 2015, it was a rotating trio of Jotul Firelight 12's. We also have a gas stove heater, gas fireplace, gas wall furnace, oil-fired boiler with six zones, four separate HVAC systems, and a few zones of electric baseboard. Everything but our own nuke plant.

Dear lord, how big is your house?

Looks like I’ll be burning for a while. Temps are down and look like they’re staying down until the weekend where they go back up into the 60s. Burning cherry, sassafras, and oak tonight

Looks like I’ll be burning for a while. Temps are down and look like they’re staying down until the weekend where they go back up into the 60s. Burning cherry, sassafras, and oak tonight
You should see pics of all his wood sheds. Very impressive operation he has going.

You should see pics of all his wood sheds. Very impressive operation he has going.

Oh ive seen them before. Very impressive indeed.

The hodgepodge of various heating sources is partly a reflection of the broken up nature of the spaces, and partly due to a lot of overlap between systems. We have a gas furnace that only heats the garage, one dual-head minisplit system that only heats the carriage house, and another totally separate system that only heats the music studio. The boiler heats the main parts of the house, and has 6 zones, but with wood stoves and electric resistive to modulate various parts of that. Big old house, nothing is straightforward or seamless!

Reactions: weee123
...and we're off and burning. 39 degrees last night and 30 degrees tonight. It's good to be back.

PXL_20231101_012900329.MP.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
Last night, and it felt great.
Jim

Today. Had no plans to fire up the stove this soon. The heat pump has been fine but it can’t compete with a fire in the stove after coming in a little chilled. Cooking up some soup on it tonight is a nice extra.

First overnight fire is tonight in central MA

I've been running half loads overnight for a few weeks now, but last night was the first night of a FULL load of hickory in each stove, and our first cold night in a few years with our fourth floor opened up and sucking heat from the floors below. I was targeting 73F, but came down to the two halves of the house at 70F and 72F. Opening up that fourth floor definitely increased demand.

Our stoves are on the second floor, which is ground level at one end of the house, and one story up from ground at the other end of the house. Just to add to the confusion, we usually call the second floor "first", the third floor "second", and the ground level "basement", as that's the way the house has come to be reconfigured and used over recent years.

Reactions: Wildflush