Where do you store your pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh395269

Mar 27, 2008
CT
Hi, I'd like to buy 2-3 tons of pellets for next winter, but the thought of lugging 100-150 40lb bags to the basement doesn't really thrill me. I don't think there's much room in the garage for these either. Where do most people store them?

I have a room under my porch in the basement where I store mine. I have 6 tons in there.

In the basement here.

Unfortunately I do not have a garage as an option, so I have no choice
here but to lug the bags in one at a time.
3 ton worth...

As long as the weather hood is on the pallet, they don't have to be
moved all in the same day.. :)

Garage. 6 Ton's at the start of winter, down to 3 1/2 now.

I never pre-buy, so no storage over the summer. During the season 25 'working' bags go in the corn crib, additional bags get stacked in the garage. I've never bought more than a ton at a time, never paid more than $180 ton, one of these days I'm going to get caught...

Wow Gotzthe Hotz, what's the secret? You must not be from the Northeast. Where are you finding pellets less than $180 a ton?

Just thinking the same thing....No such price anymore in New England.

I have 1 & 1/2 ton so far down cellar . Up & down those stairs 1 bag at a time was no picnic. Plan on getting 2 more tons down there by end of June :p

In the basement. I've done this for a few years 1 or 2 tons at a time. This year I'll be getting 6 tons, if I can get a good price. What I do is bring them through the bulkhead, using a plank as a ramp. I can slide 5 or 6 bags down at a time and align a table for them to slide onto. Then I go down cellar and take the bags off the table and ramp and re-stack on pallets. The lumber yard I usually buy from brings a forklift and brings the pallets right to the bulkhead door. This makes it a lot easier than a tail gate drop at he end of the driveway.

Garage. Only 10 paces to the stove.

My condolences to those keeping them in their basement or lower level. Show us some before and after pics in the spring, you might have a new excercise program to unveil. :)

Twin Cities, MN. Between the local big box stores, and now a farmer guy that has been getting truck loads (last ton coming tonight, $175 delivered-Fibre By Products), I've been lucky! I aslo simply do not have enough room to store over the summer, the boat gets priority.

Four tons in the basement. I have a friend who helps , with the use of his truck and his back . We got it done in two hours last year. The place where I buy my pellets is only about a mile and a half from my house so it is not a long drive. Last year I picked up my tons on a day he took off work. What a coincidence .

I have a garage but it's filled with stuff. I am able to
fit 2 tons in there though despite the stuff, and 2 tons
on my 3 season porch.
Have stored a ton out in the driveway for 6+ months
with no problems. They were heavily wrapped and covered.

65bags.gif

2_ton.jpg

1_ton.gif

I have one ton in the basement and two in the shed. The ones in the shed are tarpped too make sure they remain dry.

kh395269 said:
Hi, I'd like to buy 2-3 tons of pellets for next winter, but the thought of lugging 100-150 40lb bags to the basement doesn't really thrill me. I don't think there's much room in the garage for these either. Where do most people store them?

In the cellar. A case of beer, a few pizzas and a 2 friends to help me lug them in. Pretty cheap, considering that I don't want to lug 5 tons into the basement by myself.

CygnusX1 said:
kh395269 said:

In the cellar. A case of beer, a few pizzas and a 2 friends to help me lug them in. Pretty cheap, considering that I don't want to lug 5 tons into the basement by myself.

I guess I'm lucky in that I enlist my father to help for free. I threaten to withhold the grandkids (my 2 dogs that he loves dearly) from him if he doesn't help.

CygnusX1 said:

Or a teen daughter with a couple of potential boyfriends who want to impress her? ;-)

A walkout basement is a definite advantage here.

Ken

Had 18 ton in the garage at the start of last burn season. My garage is 1,100 sqft.

I'm taking a little bit different approach. I'm just setting up a treager PB 150 boiler to heat my apartment houses and bought a 5 ton grain silo that I plan on putting behind one of the buildings with an auger that will feed the hopper.

If you guys built a small silo in your basement or garage you could buy in bulk and save money.

Rich said:
If you guys built a small silo in your basement or garage you could buy in bulk and save money.

I wonder if pellets stored that way would absorb more moisture than in bags. Of course, for your needs, you probably don't have a good choice considering the volume you must use.

Are pellets available in bulk in most areas?

Ken

I'm thinking of getting a PVC vinyl shed for these and my kids toys. We need to get the ride on toys out of the garage anyway- no real room and it's too easy to scratch the cars.

Ken, I would love to hear from someone else that stores them this way. The average moisture of air dried wood is around 12 percent so there is a chance they will take on a little moisture. If that happens I think I will auger them into a smaller inside bin where it is pretty warm and dry all the time. I figure a couple weeks in there and they would be dry anyway.

I have a tiny little ranch house. I'm thinking two tons will suffice. I got one ton in the basement near the stove in seven 60 gallon plastic drums Two barrels holds 15 bags. In the shed another ton stored in barrels as well but left those in the bags for ease of moving later. (someone on the board suguested that) I can get six bags in a drum no problem. This would work out well for folks with no indoor storage as well as these drums have water tight lids.

I keep mine on the unfinished side of my basement. Stove is on the finished side.
The delivery guy puts them into my garage, then I haul them down the basement stairs. My basement doesnt have Bilco doors.

Just moved 3 tons (two bags at a time) to my basement by myself this past Friday. Took me about 3 hours....with a few breaks in between to watch portions of the Mets game.

Great workout. (Yes, I'm still a young guy at 32 years old.....I dont know what I'll do when I get "older").

3 tons to the basement in 3 hours, 2 bags at a time. The only good I find in your post is that the Mets won that night. I got 3 tons in the garage and luckily the only steps I'll be climbing are the four to get into the house. Down the stairs with 80 pounds on my back is not for me any longer. Good luck bringing them back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.