Where to measure temp on H&G Northstar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pdog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2010
Central NJ
We just got ours going and trying to get control of the best air control settings, etc. We have a nice fire going, nothing crazy but wanted to see where you guys measure your temps at. It looks like I could aim the IR thru the slots of the fan area to get a good reading at the top of the box but wanted to see what you guys recommend.

I burned a floor model Northstar in the shop where I worked.
It was the ONLY heat in there, except for other hearth appliances &
it kept me toasty warm. I did NOT use a thermometer to gauge the burn,
I just judged it VISUALLY, by the looks of the secondaries.
If they were rolling & the flames were dancing ABOVE the logs, I knew it was right.

I burned a floor model Northstar in the shop where I worked.
It was the ONLY heat in there, except for other hearth appliances &
it kept me toasty warm. I did NOT use a thermometer to gauge the burn,
I just judged it VISUALLY, by the looks of the secondaries.
If they were rolling & the flames were dancing ABOVE the logs, I knew it was right.

Thanks. I saw a couple of others commenting on the Quad 7100 which is similar. Thought about a magnetic therm on the glue pipe. Probably just a bit nervous, been a couple of years since my last stove where I had to be concerned about temps

Well today we decided to really load her up heavy for the first time. So a bunch of smoke up top, should have cracked the doors a bit which I did and helped get it under control. Rolling nicely now, flue pipe at about 650-675 which has me a little nervous. Looks like I finally got some secondary burn. My old Jotul c550 and F400 achieved this very quickly with smaller load, perhaps I am doing something wrong.