Where to put a thermometer on an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbowers22

Dec 14, 2009
North Texas
Where is the best place to put a magnetic themometer on a fireplace insert. The ones I have looked at say to stick them to the flue pipe but you can't see it after you put the surround around the insert. Would the door or the top of the th insert be a suffient place to get a temperature reading from?

sbowers22 said:
Where is the best place to put a magnetic themometer on a fireplace insert. The ones I have looked at say to stick them to the flue pipe but you can't see it after you put the surround around the insert. Would the door or the top of the th insert be a suffient place to get a temperature reading from?

i have mine smack dab in the top middle of my door.
try to not let the blower blow on it though, or have it exposed to the radiant heat from the window in the firebox.
it reads fairly accurate where i have it

Many manuals will tell you where to stick them. I have mine on top, just to the right of center on my Olympic.

I figured out where to put mine when I searched the forum for all threads relating to my make/model of insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.