Which one works better...insert steamer or kettle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
Have a R14 insert with only 4 1/2 inches to put a humidifier on. I have narrowed it down to a 2 quart 1/2 kettle or a 1 1/2 quart ledge steamer (has lattice top) both from Northline Express. What are your experiences with which one works better. Thx

Evaporation rate is a function of surface area and temperature/pressure differential.. Your temperature is going to be a function of the base and contact area, surface area is a function of shape. Material doesn't matter much in the long run.

The 1/2 kettle on my insert doesn't get enough heat to evaporate enough water to increase the humidity in my house. If it did evaporate enough water I would have to refill it 12 times a day to be comparable to my humidifiers. I go through about 6 gal. a day in my 1500 sq. ft. house, and usually the humidity is around 40%.

Status
Not open for further replies.