Which UPS Battery Back Up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm coupled with an inexpensive 2 stroke generator @ 900w this might be just the solution I'm looking for and comes in at a total of ~300.00 2 stroke fuel is stabilized by the oil content and I always have a supply on hand for weed wacker, leaf blower and chain saw etc anyway. the issue brought up in the post above regarding uneven generator output and lack of filtering by the ups seems to be addressed by the ups mentioned in the quote in this post, it handles surges and uneven power and output is pure sine wave. anyone tell me where I may be wrong here please
I have an older APC designed to output 1800 watts (15 amps @ 120V) or more. Cannot remember model and it's two floors away in the garage, but believe its 2200. Also designed to accept "dirty" power (non sine wave). APC made these for servers running on gen power and also sold a 240V variation for use in countries with uncertain power. Almost certain similar models are still made.

Works like a dream, does great job of cleaning up the dirty power, and recharges off the gen. You see these on Craigslist bc people want to unload them when batteries need replaced, or when a business folds, etc. I like ours so much I'm going to buy a spare when I see a good deal, for when this one eventually goes kaput. Had it 7 years now, and keep it running 24/7 to power the MVAE, Fios interface, router and home theater PC because of its surge protection and power cleanup. No battery usage until power goes out.

i run a cyberpower pure sine
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VVQWB5QZ6RZHHKT4Y3W

gives me about an hour to decide if i want to shut down the stove with a good end run of smoke up the chute. 95% of my power outages here last less than 30 min, usually from a branch or some drunk idiot hitting a pole/etc more than weather (i have underground power in my street, but the main state road is above ground).

A generator is still on my list to do, but i still can't justify the expense of something I won't use enough, and probably won't have fuel on hand for that is stabelized... etc. I have a cord of wood in the back yard, and if things got THaT cold, i'd pull the exhaust and stove out and start burning and deal with re-installing later.

Or, just shut my water off and go to my parent's house about 3 miles away who have a gas fireplace and external tank and a spare bedroom :D

That's the one that I have on my amazon wish list.

Interesting story. I searched for a Wally world ship to store APC BE750G, but received a 700, so returned it at the counter, drove home and re ordered the 750 via Amazon.com from APC with free Amazon Prime shipping. When it comes in next week I'll let you know what I think.... Love the curve balls in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.