1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishinAK

fishinAK New Member

Hello all,
    I posed this same question a long while back but didnt get may responses. So if it is ok I will try again. I live in an area where my only choices for firewood are Sitka spruce, western hemlock and red alder. Since this is my first season as an official wood burner I have zero experience with these 3 woods. does anyone else have any experience with any of these woods? Curious as to which I should fill the shed up with. and which is the fastest to season. any and all experience is greatly appreciated!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

red alder is the only listed hard wood in the 3. I would stock up on that. It is also usefull ffor smoking all the salmon you catch.
    We on the east cost do not have it here so I cannot help you with drying times.
  3. minesmoria

minesmoria New Member

I am just below you in prince rupert bc, alder is the best wood burn longest gives most heat off. It also dyrs quite fast.

I have 13 cord of it ready to burn, hemlock is better than spruce i use spruce for kindling.

Dont you have any paper birch there.
  4. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    No experience with those woods, but people got to burn what's available in their areas. I think soft woods usually take less drying time than hardwoods. I've heard 3-6 month dry times for pine, but I try to get 1 year ahead just to be on the safe side.
  5. fishinAK

fishinAK New Member

thanks so far for the replys guys. No, No paper birch here Mesmoria. There is birch further north but I am in Southeast Alaska.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.