Whitfield Adv II T Weird problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smib

Jan 27, 2010
Souther MD
I need the experts for some help here. I have a Whitfield Adv II-T. I have had it for 10 years, never a problem. Today, after running for over an hour, the stove shut completely off for 10 seconds (Like the power went off), then restarts like I hit the "START" button. If I had the auger/blower control on level 2 (2 green and 2 red lights) the stove always comes back on level 3. Sometimes it takes an hour, sometimes it takes 15 minutes to do this. Any thought or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Mine did the exact same thing. Here's what caused it:

I have a horizontal exhaust on the south side of the house.
The day it happened, we had SUSTAINED 35 mph winds from the south with gusts to 45.
I couldn't keep it going for anything.

I learned this was caused by the pressure switch reading "a clogged exhaust". It's in series with the auger.
All that wind blowing back in the pipe fooled the pressure switch.

My thoughts are:
1. If you have a horizontal exhaust, check for wind.
2. If wind/horizontal is not an issue look for an exhaust restriction (gopher).
3. Check your pressure switch. There's links on the site.

Let me know if you need more info.

It was very windy here yesterday, so this makes sense. Today, its calm and no problems. Thank you for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.