Why my wife hates poplars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Out cutting this weekend my wife Jen was attempting to rid our wood lot of poplars and ran into a bit of trouble and I only made it worse.

saws-in-poplar.jpg

Luckily we have a third backup saw!

~ Phil

Thats the loggers equivalent to Pook forming a sentence.

Not exactly textbook notching... I can see how she could get in such a predicament but I don't quite understand what sequence of cuts would bind the second saw.

Not sure why the Poplar has to take the blame though. It's like the novice blaming his/her tools.

Come on now don't blame the tree

lol is it the chainsaw or the operator at fault

When it happens to me it is the saw's fault, damn it. Why if I still had the McCullough Pro Mac... >:-(

Of course it really never happens to me. I just take three saws to the woods to keep from carrying a gas can. Yeah, that's it. To keep from carrying the gas can. :coolgrin:

LOL...someone will be around to collect both your membership cards.

savageactor7 said:

lol it is ugly

Your wife has her own chainsaw? His and her chainsaws? She cuts firewood with you? Does she have a sister? :)

smokinjay said:
savageactor7 said:

lol it is ugly

Poplar pinching back cut disaster.
Is that a Scandinavian pencil notch?

WB

BrotherBart said:
When it happens to me it is the saw's fault, damn it. Why if I still had the McCullough Pro Mac... >:-(

Of course it really never happens to me. I just take three saws to the woods to keep from carrying a gas can. Yeah, that's it. To keep from carrying the gas can. :coolgrin:

finally someone with a sense of humor. Thought I'd share a comical part of a bad situation and some here just want to boost their ego in sayin they never had a bad day in the woods.

Not sure I would've posted a picture of the mess. ;)

I can tell what happened on the first notch/cut but on the upper cut did you get the saw hung up trying to cut through on one cut?(I don't see any notch on the upper cut. Be careful I'd really hate to see you become a statistic!

mpilihp said:
BrotherBart said:

finally someone with a sense of humor. Thought I'd share a comical part of a bad situation and some here just want to boost their ego in sayin they never had a bad day in the woods.

I think it's pretty cool that you posted the pics & told (at least a part of) the story. I can almost imagine being out there looking at that mess and thinking, "Well, OK, now what?". I've gotten saws stuck hard, and done some pretty extreme things to get them out. I'm just thankful that those things all happened before there were affordable digital cameras or phones that take pictures. I trust that all was resolved safely and no person was injured in the production of this thread, and that your saws came out unscathed. Learn by doing. Rick

mpilihp said:
BrotherBart said:

lol no thats not it at all. Just looks like a bad face cut that lead to even bigger problems just glad it was a small tree and no one was hurt and we can all laugh. I have stuck to saws before on a weight shift after the tree was down

Calm down now we all know bad things can happen to anyone . I ran into a fellow I know who has owned a tree service for 20+ years and had a big scrape on his face and a busted lip with several stitches said a hanger swung down and got him right upside the head and almost knocked him out of the bucket . First time he has ever been injured cutting wood.

mike1234 said:
Your wife has her own chainsaw? His and her chainsaws? She cuts firewood with you? Does she have a sister? :)

Ha ha. Please post picture of sister's saw. Ha ha.

Sooooo....for us other novices out there, what "should" have happened?

Also, for someone like me who doesn't own 3 chain saws let alone haul the around with me ;) what's the best way to get one out of a pinch?

mike1234 said:

Yes my wife cuts wood, been doing it for years before I met her, we have 23 cord now, trying to get 1+ years ahead, we burn about 10 cord a year, have a wood boiler and use it about 10 months a year as we also heat our DHW with it. Sorry her sister wouldnt touch a chainsaw.

fossil said:
I think it's pretty cool that you posted the pics & told (at least a part of) the story. I can almost imagine being out there looking at that mess and thinking, "Well, OK, now what?". I've gotten saws stuck hard, and done some pretty extreme things to get them out. I'm just thankful that those things all happened before there were affordable digital cameras or phones that take pictures. I trust that all was resolved safely and no person was injured in the production of this thread, and that your saws came out unscathed. Learn by doing. Rick

No one was hurt and saws were fine, our woods are extremely thick so when starting in a new area having a hanger or two is pretty common till we get a hole created.

Corners said:
Sooooo....for us other novices out there, what "should" have happened?

Also, for someone like me who doesn't own 3 chain saws let alone haul the around with me ;) what's the best way to get one out of a pinch?

If anyones the novice its me, I didnt see the tree before it was partially down with her saw pinched but I can say it was windy this weekend and maybe was leaning slightly the wrong way (not towards the opening she had to fell it) Because of the how the tree was hung up, when I went to lop off the butt to free her saw, instead of the trunk wanting to drop down it pivoted up pinching my saw (I was cutting from the bottom)

If you only have one saw, id at least have an axe!

Anyone who's never had a saw pinched hasn't spent much time in the woods. Personally, once saw 1 was pinched I'd have pulled the saw body off the bar before attemting to free it with saw 2. Replacing a bar is far less expensive than a saw.

Stephen in SoKY said:
Anyone who's never had a saw pinched hasn't spent much time in the woods. Personally, once saw 1 was pinched I'd have pulled the saw body off the bar before attemting to free it with saw 2. Replacing a bar is far less expensive than a saw.

+1. Didn't remove the bar one time, that is an expensive lesson.

I agree, it is the poplar.
Happens to me also.
It sometimes causes me to wonder how I ended up out there
and not in a cushey capitalist chair.
It passes quickly.

mike1234 said:
Stephen in SoKY said:

+1. Didn't remove the bar one time, that is an expensive lesson.

Yeah, once my dad got my wild thing caught trying to cut into a notch...we didn't take the bar off, so when he got the tree down most of the tree came down on my saw. cracked the bar oil reservoir, so we put a soldering iron on it and melted the plastic back together and the saw started right up. would have been a lot easier just to take the bar off, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.