Will It Burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalhide

Feb 12, 2010
East Central IN
Hello all...long time reader of the forum and a first time poster. I have a hitzer 983 coal/wood insert, and was wondering if I could burn pellets effectivly?
I have a buddy who stumbled across a good supply of pellets, and before I do an experiment I am curious if anybody as any suggestions/concerns.

1.Never burned pellets
2.Air supply on my stove is under the fire.

I'm sure they will burn, the question is how good will they burn. Pellets were originally designed to be burned with air blowing thru them. Still, they are biomass and if you make biomass hot, it will burn. I'd grab one bag and throw some in. I dont think a Hitzer is going to burn pellets solo, but a few handfuls on a coal fire would probably work ok

Welp, first of all, the Hitzer 983 is a COAL ONLY HEATER (pellet burning would not be in accordance with its design). Now that we are over all that, without an ash bed of some type, its pretty likely the pellets are going to fall through the grates...the Hitzer is made to burn nut coal, which is larger than pellets by a pretty fair margin.....also, when one tends to just dump a pile of pellets into a stove like this, IF they stay above the grate, they tend not to burn efficiently, or even well at all, as the combustion air tends to bypass the firebed rather than running through it......

my 2 cents!

Lousy, Thanks for your reply. I realize the hitzer is a coal only stove, and it is a tank of a stove. I burn wood and am not looking to switch to pellets. I just happened to come across a steal of a deal on some pellets. I figure a little experimenting with take place. Am I right that the air supply of a pellet stove is very similar to that of a coal stove? I have excellent control of my air supply and maybe with a good bed of coals to support the pellets I can produce an effect shudder season burn.

sure....try it and see what happens! FWIW, the stove isnt listed for wood either! those Hitzers are tanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.