1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Window mount pellet stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by blaster668, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Maine

Dan_Maine New Member

I have taken mine back and they are going to replace it with a new one (i noticed many have come back)

It seems they have redesigned the stove to solve some of the issues and hopefully addressed the manufacturing issue in China or moved it back to the States
    (the Golden Eagle stove i just bought is made in the USA)

So i should get the heater in a week or so, I suspect there was a bad batch of stoves, when they work they run great
    the good points are

1. you do not have to fool with a damper to get it adjusted right and it has outside air built in
    2. easy to clean for the most part if you have the correct nozzle and an ash vacum
    3. best setting is the low setting will go for a few days on that setting
    4. never get any smoke in the house with it
    5. easy to move
    6. I put my pellets in plastic bins from walmart (about 10lbs each) this helps with the sawdust and is easer to load
    7. I run hardwood pellets in mine but is best to test Each Year with different brands Prices here in maine run from $3.99 (home depot) to about $6.25(local hardwood)

my cost last year

$ 490.00 for 2 ton of pellets

my cost if using oil (kerosene -outside tank )
    $ 1855.00 for 2 tanks of kero

Dan

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. UMainah

UMainah Member

Loc:
    Bangor, ME
    Sounds like you are lucky not to be in the news like a bunch of other window stove owners have been due to house fires.
  3. Dan_Maine

Dan_Maine New Member

you got that right
    it seems the auger/pellet tube is only about 2 inches from the bottom of the plastic pellet bin and the tube does not have much for insulation around it and as the tube is made in such a way that heat and possible fire can go back up the tube it can be very dangerous. I am surprised there has not been a recall on them.
    Dan
  4. triviasteve

triviasteve New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    i'll have to look into the golden eagle one. i'm actually considering a second unit for my house. As you your heating costs, you're doing well. I spent over $2000 in fuel oil my first year in the house. I use just over a ton of wood pellets to heat. so $225 vs $2000+... save me almost 90%!

thanks for the post, Dan
  5. Dan_Maine

Dan_Maine New Member

After a little thought i must say that over all i am not happy with the class of pellet stoves i see at around $1500.00 price point
    they all seem to have issues like they need to be cleaned almost every day or the burnpot cleaned
    The stoves i see at the $2500.00 price seem to be better stoves but are above my budget.

The main problem for me is it limits the time i can be away from the house to about 24hrs when the thing should be able to go 48 hrs anyway (temps this year so far have hit -10 for a few nights and have seen it -25 below before for days on end in the last few years.
    May break down and buy a cheap wood stove or get a backup gas heater ($$)

I very much doubt i will get another USSC related stove again the whole basic designs of the burn pots is suspect ( the window mount unit and the golden eagle)
    While i an not a combustion engineer i have had enough classes in physics, theromdynamics and materials to suspect there is an issue balancing the thermodynaics and airflow plus the general lack of quality on some parts, they look good with all the thick steel and all but i suspect i will end up having to pay $2500.00-$3500.00 to get something reliable.

I am hoping the window mounted unit redesign will solve the issues with that unit.

in the mean time i went to home depot and bought 2 2packs of fire extinguishers just in case.

Dan
  6. triviasteve

triviasteve New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    well Dan,

I just had the same issue. Mine melted in the same place, too. Fortunately I was home when it caught fire, and was able to put it out without any damage to the house or me. Quick response from USStove on it, and they're sending me the upgraded unit. Looks like they are aware of this issue, and quite frankly, I'm surprised there's not a recall on the old ones as well.

I don't burn mine when I'm not home, and I keep several fire extinguishers in the house as well. Better safe than sorry.
  7. Bkrhood

Bkrhood New Member

Loc:
    Alberta Canada
    Got one, comes with a very solid bracket, that also holds the a/c quite well. Heats great and the side and top and bottom barely warm enough to melt wax. And as far as falling out of the window goes, not going to happen. If you are worried about safety, throw your can opener out, because all this requires is cleaning, pellets, and common sense, can opener requires, gasp,... cleaning, cans and common sense.
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    thread revival.jpg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.