1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Winter time wood transport

Post in 'The Gear' started by muncybob, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iskiatomic

iskiatomic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    Still using the Mexican dump truck (wheelbarrow). I usually bring in a cord and a half at a clip. I have a root cellar where I store this which is ten feet from the stove, just out the back door. We get the snow here, nothing like VT. Last year I keep a route shoveled to the wood pile, about 25 yards. The down fall was late winter early spring when things begin to thaw, MUD! So I was tring to time it with the cold mornings so the ground is still firm.

KC

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    I access my 4 cord from my kitchen door, goes into a enclosed patio..yeah, I wear my slippers :)
  3. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Menard's has the full set for $10 if you have one near.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Ja, and we have pics to prove it.

Attached Files:

5. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)
    remember the plastic sleds when we were a kid?.... works like a charm
  6. awoodman

awoodman Member

Loc:
    K.C. Missouri
    Glad I got my stack (which is as deep as the garage 30') next to the house.

Attached Files:

7. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    How about one of these?

Attached Files:

8. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    I have a big pile of wood right next to the boiler shed for when the snow sets in and I use one of those 4 wheeled pull garden cart other wise I use the 4 wheeler and a bigger cart to bring wood to the shed

Attached Files:

9. Thrash44047

Thrash44047 New Member

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I'm in the process of copying my father-in-laws design of a wood sled. Its 2- 3/4" ply wood sides appx 2' x4', with a 2' radius on on end, a 2' x 2' wooden flat back, then heavy gage sheet metal on the bottom. (steel roofing, galv ducting, ect.). This is screwed on with Sheet Metal Screws. A heavy duty eye bolt on the front for pulling w/ the tractor. There will also be 2" holes in the sides to put a rope threw to pull by hand. I am copying it because I'm now heating with wood and Ive helped him haul the wood for his house in this simple sled for years and it work great. I also works great to put your logging tools in and hook up to the back of the 3 pt hitch with the work bar on. The eye bolt goes into the top link and the rest sits on the work bar. Such a super simple design but it works great. Ill try to snap a photo and post if I can. Last year my 9 yr old was pulling the thing thru the snow with relative ease. If you really load it up you can get quite a bit of wood in it and it slides easily in the snow.
  10. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Loc:
    Da islands mon!
    my 6 and 9 year old boys do real well at bringing wood up to the deck by the front door!
  11. crazy_dan

crazy_dan New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
  12. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    I have a similar cart in red, I think it's the same otherwise... works well, but I found it has some limitations...

1. If putting a lot of weight in it (like a big round), you need to reinforce the bed or it will flex and bend. The construction is very light, the only way you'd get 1,000lbs on it w/o reinforcement is if it was something very distributed like fertilizer sacks...

2. I did manage to break the front steering suspension on it going over some rough ground. (However after a fair bit of phoning around I was able to get a replacement at no cost...)

3. It tows forwards nicely when hooked to the lawn tractor, but can't readily be backed up - Essentially I found that you have to unhook, push the trailer into location by hand, then back the tractor up and reconnect.

Still, I'm glad I bought it, and I do use it a lot.

Gooserider
  13. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    Like to see pics of this!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.