Wood crib question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrcr56

Sep 8, 2006
After reading some of the threads on wood cribs, I was wondering what do you guys do if you still have a cord or two of wood left in the back of your crib at the end of the heating season. Do you cut new wood and stack it in front of the old stuff? It seems almost like you would need two cribs. Also what is the general opinion of the useful life of split and stacked wood left out in the weather (before it gets punky), 3-5 years?

I've left wood outside for 4 years without it getting punky...but I cut my trees late in the fall while their dormant and stage up the logs for latter use. Once split I cover the wood up in the fall just before the weather turns more wetter than dry (oct/nov)...otherwise it's out in the sun getting rained on. Long ago an oldtimer advised me if I didn't cut dormant wood it would get punky unless I brought it into a wood shed. I dunno if that's true or not, it made sense and this guy was old enough to depend on wood for survival...so that's what I do and it's been working out.

Just so you know I do burn punky wood too but that is harvested about every 5 years when the swamp dries up, once C&Sed;it has a useful purpose but my cold weather wood that I depend on doesn't get punky in 4 years. I burn mostly ash, maple and dead elm and those are on the soft side of the hard wood scale if you're talking about split oak I bet that would go much longer than 4 years. then again if the wood was in a dry wood shed it would go a very long, long time...maybe a lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.