Wood (Fired Pizza Place) ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dobish

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2015
Golden CO
We went to a wood fired pizza place, and they had racks of wood around. I think they thought I was crazy for trying to ID their wood...

cDHl1WnN7UmCmHgcCo1Vc_SrvuAVCLYZrfCfnJpsg8J9at3L4Er-C80FfPQpNW1T_SHNWxjJT7VAbzdo83Z=w458-h610-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Slocum and Lone_Gun
a mozz pizza :)

actually there was a mix of maple, honey locust, and something else I didn't recognize... i didn't spend too much time looking, their sizes were really short :)

Reactions: Slocum
I to have asked this question. We had the pizza truck come to work one day. Asked him while he was cooking 2 minute pizza's -- What kind of wood he used--- reply firewood was his reply while loading an other pie. :p:p What was I thinkin such a silly question.

I've asked this question too of a trattoria & pizzeria in SE PA. Thought for sure the distinctive smoke of hickory would be a component of their wood, but no. Apparently hickory pops too much which is not good (ash on the customer's pizza, and sparks on workers' arms). So they had a vendor stock with oak and only oak (consistent heat, good coals and no pops). Not sure if others are that particular, but noticed that oak is popular with other wood-fired pizzerias.