Wood ID . What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Just felled today. Beech and oaks around this tree. This one is different.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Maple - The darker inner circle then solid almost white color gives it away, also the bark on the main trunk with small branches coming out the main stem if fairly indicative or maple. Good score!

that could still be beech. . . my first guess was soft maple but that reddish heartwood makes me want to say beech. . . I have seen beech with a rougher type bark like that before. . ALSO if there are small beech all around it, don't forget that young beech trees will sprout up from the root system of an older beech ''sons of beeches'' my money is on fagus grandifolia

I'm going to say beech as well. Looks like it could have beech bark disease, the bark cracks open like that making it look rough when they are infected with it. From what I can see of the top it still looks smooth and greyish "beechy looking "

A lot of small beech trees around , all adult beeches look different , with elephant skin like smooth bark , this on darker and rougher, and trunk is much thicker .
It was a huge leaner , did it with making cut in a middle of trunk and then making cut out of it .

Does the top have all the small "whip" like limbs like beech of the bigger limbs like maple.

It looks like beech with but atypical beech bark. I have seen beech with that bark pattern.
Also, it looks like in OP first pic, top left, in foreground is small branch with beech leaves.
Check branching habit. If alternate, not maple.
Check buds - beech has very distinctive elongated, pointy buds. Very good distinguishing characteristic (DC) in winter.

image.jpeg Looked like those trees, and was standing among them , probably beech after all
image.jpeg

Beech or Maple, either way it is firewood......LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.