Wood ID? Wintergreen smell.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I came across this split in the stacks. I cut it down to fit in the stove. It smells like wintergreen, has a very tight grain, almost looks like locust on the end grain. The bark is reddish with small pimples in this piece, but heavier bark. I keep thinking hickory, but it smells like a breath mint not barbeque.

Any ideas? Thanks.

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

Really? Wow. I did not think birch had this kind of density. Looks much like locust, except not as green/yellow in the grain. Smells fine though. Nice grain too.

Thanks Woodsman.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Really? Wow. I did not think birch had this kind of density. Looks much like locust, except not as green/yellow in the grain. Smells fine though. Nice grain too.

Thanks Woodsman.

It's good stuff, better than the Paper Birch for sure. It burns just a tad on the fast side but not bad at all and throws great heat. Around here we call it "Cherry" Birch 'cause it also has some of the look of Cherry wood. I'm sure that you'll like it...

Status
Not open for further replies.