wood id with photo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
What kind of tree ?

Attachments

• woodwith leaves-1.jpg
    woodwith leaves-1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 510
My first thought was aspen (aka poplar, popple) . . . but the leaf isn't quite right and the bark is most definitely not right for the poplar we've got growing around here.

That is not a very good pic. From what I can see from the leaves looks like birch but the barks no help.

smokinjay said:
That is not a very good pic. From what I can see from the leaves looks like birch but the barks no help.

You're right . . . the leaves do look more like birch than an aspen . . . I never considered a birch though since the bark in the pic doesn't look like any birch I've ever seen.

firefighterjake said:
smokinjay said:

You're right . . . the leaves do look more like birch than an aspen . . . I never considered a birch though since the bark in the pic doesn't look like any birch I've ever seen.

I was thinking the same thing but leaves are better for Id's so what the heck! lol

I think the leaves look like poplar/aspen. Is that the bark from a tree the leaves are resting on?

the leaves are growing out of the bark .

you must have a really sharp splitter wedge

kwikrp said:
the leaves are growing out of the bark .

is that bark????

it looks like a rock under water

I can't tell much from that picture.

I was thinking basswood or something, as the leaf margin seems to be serrate (like birch), but the leaves looked to heart shaped to be birch.

could also be mulberry

What is Cocobolo!? Either way, it is not going to yield enough wood to last all winter.

Sisu said:
What is Cocobolo!? Either way, it is not going to yield enough wood to last all winter.

Its an amazon hardwood used in police billy clubs!

smokinjay said:
Sisu said:

Now you KNOW we want to know HOW you found that out Jay

I believe it to be Balm of Gilead....sometimes called "Bam" for short. Cut logs will often sprout branches long after being cut down - wet, wet, wet!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
Sisu said:

The hard way, and Its as hard as a lead pipe. Oh and the cop nickname was thumper...lol

smokinjay said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
Sisu said:

The hard way, and Its as hard as a lead pipe. Oh and the cop nickname was thumper...lol

Did you spend some "lost years" in Brazil? :)

Sisu said:
smokinjay said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
Sisu said:

No I found a piece in Chesterfield Indiana whats the chances of that?

smokinjay said:
Sisu said:
smokinjay said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay said:
Sisu" date="1274392387 said:

Hehehe! I am assuming that it is more likely that "it" found you. Was there a delayed effect in the pain response?

Sisu said:
smokinjay said:
Sisu said:
smokinjay said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
smokinjay" date="1274392754 said:
Sisu" date="1274392387 said:

Hehehe! I am assuming that it is more likely that "it" found you. Was there a delayed effect in the pain response?

no it was instant....

Status
Not open for further replies.