wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know Oak but up close it almost looks like Black Spruce.

Definitely oak.

No guess on the ID but with that tight straight grain it would've made some beautiful furniture.

Its a tough id. I leaning towards black ash. Anybody confirm?

Hickory Master here,
and that aint hickory. well i know its not pignut or shag- 2 species i have 100's of in my woods and woodpile. bark IS like pignut somewhat BUT the inner wood is always darker than outer wood.

im going with some wacky species of oak , not red or white obviously.

gzecc said:
Its a tough id. I leaning towards black ash. Anybody confirm?
No way jose, not Black Ash. I can't believe LEE is stumped. I was sure he'd agree with me on it being Black Spruce.

Here's a pic of Black Spruce bark, a little more scaly than some.
mariana4.jpg

Here is Black Ash.
100_0339.jpg

i am going to take a couple pieces to my my county EPA rep and see what she thinks and to a friend of mine who has been in the wood business for 35 years.

definiteLEE said:
Bark kinda looks like apple but I can't say as I've ever seen the inards of an apple tree.
Got me stumped!

its not apple or at least it never had any apples on it.

if it helps any the tree was growing in a very wet (standing water and mud) area with a lot of very large rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.