WOOD ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nrford said:
I have seen millions of board feet of ash from tenn to northern michigan, illinois to new hampshire. You have some very valuable ash if it is 100% white. shame you are cutting it for firewood. The only thing i can figure is you are perhaps not letting it get log size. when ash is small it has little if any heartwood. But timber size ash is usually 50% heartwood (BROWN). Nuff Said.

Buddy....I dont care how many millions of feet of ash board you have seen. I have cut tons of Ash on my property and some have been VERY big. Biggest was about 4 feet in diameter at the base. Very old tree that fell from a storm. NONE of it has been BROWN. Yea its not all "white"....some of the heartwood is slightly darker, but never brown. Anyway that is what MY ash trees wood looks like. Nuff said.

dannynelson77 said:
Well from what I have read, the bark, leaves, and wood typically look the same. Just with the leaves they are not as "whitish" on the bottom. I dont know first hand though as all I have cut is white ash. Or at least I think so. :)
Judging from the way mine burns, I'd guess that it has to be White Ash...

Woody Stover said:
dannynelson77 said:
Well from what I have read, the bark, leaves, and wood typically look the same. Just with the leaves they are not as "whitish" on the bottom. I dont know first hand though as all I have cut is white ash. Or at least I think so. :)
Judging from the way mine burns, I'd guess that it has to be White Ash...
It's not that hard to tell them apart after you have cut both types, bark is different, wood is not the same color and it is heavier.

nrford and Danny, please keep this civil. We do not need bickering on this forum. You are both right so please consider it settled.

oldspark said:
dannynelson77 said:
Here is the white ash and the green ash, I am sure you can tell me which is which.

It looks like the Green Ash bark is kind of plated? I have never seen Ash bark like that so I would assume what I have been cutting is indeed White Ash. Thanks for th epic of Green Ash! I dont recall ever seeing one on here before......

Status
Not open for further replies.