Wood stove doesn't work like it used to: Replaced clay flue tile with stainless 6" steel liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think I understand what you are describing.
When I take out the 6" stove pipe from the stove you can see a steel plate.
I have had it out to check it and it is approximately 1/4" thick x 24" x 14".
I just doublechecked on an old Stove diagram and we are talking about the same thing.
There is nothing wrong with it.
I appreciate your comments and thought we had something there for a few minutes.
So I thank you.

It is easy for some to blame my wood and not believe my mc. I can live with that.
However I repeat that the only thing that has changed is the new steel liner and chimney cap.
Its possible the increased draft of the 6" liner is causing the problems. Do you have a pipe damper?

But black pipe vs single wall liner would not change much in draft because the cool down (in a masonry chimney) would be about the same.

OP, you are sure there is no debris blocking the flow on top of your baffle?

I second the notion that draft has changed because of the chimney work. If you have a sooteater, I'd run that up as it'll tell you if there is a blockage in the pipe (without a camera).
Either that or debris on the baffle plate. Or the cap is not good for your situation.

I would not be very concerned about flue temps at the end of a burn cycle (during coaling). Not much creosote produced then.
I think that it may be the cap.
As I have said the cap has a 2-3 inch band running around the middle. Which I think restricts the draft.
My old chimney cap had a roof with 4 meshed open sides (like a pavilion) and 4 legs that held it in place in the flue.
When I look on the internet I don' see any viable options.

I could be wrong about this but didn't I read on this site that you can damage certain liners with a sooteater.

I think it came from a member who cleans chimneys.

I am not aware of that. Of course poor quality pipe can be damaged more easily. But you might not want to have that pipe anyway.

As I have said the cap has a 2-3 inch band running around the middle. Which I think restricts the draft.
My old chimney cap had a roof with 4 meshed open sides (like a pavilion) and 4 legs that held it in place in the flue.
When I look on the internet I don' see any viable options.

I think you may have too much draft - blowing most of the heat thru the pipe up out of your home.

Yes I have a pipe damper.
I am thinking of adding a 1' or 2' extension to the chimney pipe on the roof to see if it improves.
How has the liner install changed your pipe and stove top temps?

That band is from the factory it is to prevent birds and rodents from entering the chimney, I suggest you not remove it.

I could be wrong about this but didn't I read on this site that you can damage certain liners with a sooteater.

I think it came from a member who cleans chimneys.
The only liners I don't like to use rotary cleaners in are the 2ply smooth wall ones. The op has rigid liner it won't be hurt

That band is from the factory it is to prevent birds and rodents from entering the chimney, I suggest you not remove it.
Most of the time bands are to minimize the effect of wind. Screen is used to keep animals out

That wood does really look dry! Still worth a check. Worth checking the entire vent from collar to termination. Who knows. Is the connector pipe running up hill a bit in any horizontal piece? Not sure what your configuration is? Pics may help with suggestions here. Did the connector pipe get changed out? Spitballing;)
I had a Century stove that really needed a key damper to retain heat in the stove instead of dispensing of it (quickly!) up the pipe. I wonder if this might be something to try? It's cheap and simple to install. Your new liner may be pulling harder and smoking through your load a bit quick. Slowing the burn rate and keeping some heat in the stove may be worth a try. Or do you have a damper already?

Yes I have a pipe damper.
I am thinking of adding a 1' or 2' extension to the chimney pipe on the roof to see if it improves.
Is the bottom of the liner sealed up properly?

Reactions: moresnow
Most of the time bands are to minimize the effect of wind. Screen is used to keep animals out
I have no screen, just the band and had been told by the dealer it was to prevent birds & stuff. Live and learn, as often the case wrong info from dealer, it makes me wonder sometimes !

I would like to find a chimney cap that has wire mesh instead of the band. I believe that the band may be part of the problem and mesh will keep out the animals.

I would like to find a chimney cap that has wire mesh instead of the band. I believe that the band may be part of the problem and mesh will keep out the animals.
As I have a Selkirk Ultimate One 6 inch insulated chimney I just found this info on their website :
• Part of the chimney system roof assembly, the Round Top is designed with a dome to exclude rain and leaves and a lower skirt to deflect wind for proper chimney draft. I assume that this applies to any cap from any manufacturer.
From that info supplied by the manufacturer personally I can only deem it unwise to remove that band. My neighbor purchased a piece of wire mesh with 1 inch squares in it which he cut to fit and placed it around his chimney cap which I believe is a Security Chimney brand.

I think you may have too much draft - blowing most of the heat thru the pipe up out of your home.
Been there and done that, lived through that experience w/ (2) stoves. I had a US2500 in my upstairs living room, it was to much stove for my house, moved it to the basement and started getting excessive coaling and it didnt feel like it was heating as well. I thought I was losing my mind, checked my wood, was 18-20%, thought the meter was broken, checked my cap thinking it was restrictive, finally bought a pipe damper and installed it, alas my coaling diminished a lot, more heat to, then after being satisfied and seeing how worn my stove was I bought a different brand, no pipe damper again, started getting whacky burns, this time around I used a meter to check my draft, found out that I was 4x higher in draft then what the stove manual said, installed (2) pipe dampers and living the life of high heat, 85 - 90 deg in the basement, 72 upstairs... cat looks like road kill at the bottom of the basement steps from the heat..lesson learned.

As I have a Selkirk Ultimate One 6 inch insulated chimney I just found this info on their website :
• Part of the chimney system roof assembly, the Round Top is designed with a dome to exclude rain and leaves and a lower skirt to deflect wind for proper chimney draft. I assume that this applies to any cap from any manufacturer.
From that info supplied by the manufacturer personally I can only deem it unwise to remove that band. My neighbor purchased a piece of wire mesh with 1 inch squares in it which he cut to fit and placed it around his chimney cap which I believe is a Security Chimney brand.
There are many caps available without wind bands. Good manufacturers offer several different options for different applications