Wood Stove for Shop/Garage Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ha! There are lots of places that cars are parked that are not garages. The code doesn't say "where cars are parked" it says garages which the OP called it also so you are right to point out the code. No stove in a garage.

Also, not every car leaks gasoline fumes so that isn't really a definitive test either.

It's called an overhead door. Garage doors are a slang term. The presence of an overhead door is not listed in the code as a reason for prohibition of the stove. Gasoline vapors and calling it a garage seem to be the triggers.

But you will notice that I let this one slide until you called me out by name. It's not worth the argument really.
I was joking and really did not mean to offend at all.

Not just cars leaking gas vapors. Lawnmowers can often do this and they lack vapor capture. Not sure about ATVs and snowmobiles but I suspect they have the same issue. Code would not have been written to protect if there were not a statistically high number of incidents connected with garage fires. There are about 6000 a year reported in the US. Electrical issues (usually due to code violation too) are the number one cause. Open flame is number 3.

my own shop, a commercial rental unit, code has any heating appliace must be ceiling mounted. Kinda not quite possible with a wood stove beside who would want to climb a ladder to fill it. Previous home had a NG up draft furnace in attached garage to heat an in-closed porch area- ins and local were fine with it but it was 4 feet off the floor. Course that was some 25 years ago. Pretty sure that would be no fly now and yes I had machine tools in the garage as well. Pretty tight fit with 2 cars , vertical mill ,surface grinder , 6ft traveling table knife grinder ( 14' x 4'ft foot print for that devil) lawn tractor, snowblower, mower, kid bikes ect. only way I could work out there in the winter was with pac boots on my feet.

@CutterComp I live in SW PA and switched insurance from State Farm to Farmers; who allowed my garage install and even took pictures of install after.

$23 premium annually. Worth it.
Unlikely they would deny any claim ( providing no changes were made after approval) as they are charging you extra for the appliance

Yes. The fact that they are charging extra implies their approval.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
Unlikely they would deny any claim ( providing no changes were made after approval) as they are charging you extra for the appliance
I have been involved with several claims like this and yes if they can prove you installed it in violation of code they will often atleast try to deny the claim. If they gave you written confirmation that the noncompliant install was aknowledged and covered you might win and get it covered. But it won't be easy.

Yes. The fact that they are charging extra implies their approval.
You would think that yes. But if they find that you lied or misrepresented the use of that space by simply calling it something other than what it is they are absolutely within their rights to deny the claim.

In our town the codes will not allow a wood stove in a structure with an overhead /garage door . The thinking is that at some point it will be used to house a vehicle ,tractor , riding mower ,etc . My garage/shop has a propane heater that is mounted 2' off the floor which meets code . My home owners insurance company would not write a policy if there was a wood stove in it.

Reactions: bholler
In our town the codes will not allow a wood stove in a structure with an overhead /garage door . The thinking is that at some point it will be used to house a vehicle ,tractor , riding mower ,etc .

Such a backward way of thinking in my opinion. The front door of my house is big enough that I could roll a motorcycle in and park it next to the stove, Following that same line of thinking, I should not be allowed to have a stove in my house unless the door is removed and sealed.

Such a backward way of thinking in my opinion. The front door of my house is big enough that I could roll a motorcycle in and park it next to the stove, Following that same line of thinking, I should not be allowed to have a stove in my house unless the door is removed and sealed.
I think the point here is that you do not want to do anything unsafe that will put you and your family in danger. The codes are in place as an attempt to do this very thing. Additionally, if you have a casualty and have done something that can be interpreted by your insurance company as a code violation, there is a very good chance you will not be able to recover your loss.

I have been involved with several claims like this and yes if they can prove you installed it in violation of code they will often atleast try to deny the claim. If they gave you written confirmation that the noncompliant install was aknowledged and covered you might win and get it covered. But it won't be easy.

You would think that yes. But if they find that you lied or misrepresented the use of that space by simply calling it something other than what it is they are absolutely within their rights to deny the claim.
not much to misrepresent when they
In our town the codes will not allow a wood stove in a structure with an overhead /garage door . The thinking is that at some point it will be used to house a vehicle ,tractor , riding mower ,etc . My garage/shop has a propane heater that is mounted 2' off the floor which meets code . My home owners insurance company would not write a policy if there was a wood stove in it.
obviouslly if you lied or misrepresented that would be insurance fraud ! I was responding to the company charging extra after having visited and photographed the installation . He could also use the fact tha he switched companies because the stove was covered . As for a denial based on code noncompliance any structure over 30 years old has tons non compliant construction

not much to misrepresent when they

obviouslly if you lied or misrepresented that would be insurance fraud ! I was responding to the company charging extra after having visited and photographed the installation . He could also use the fact tha he switched companies because the stove was covered . As for a denial based on code noncompliance any structure over 30 years old has tons non compliant construction
Yes old installs can absolutely be grandfathered in. But in this case we are talking about a new install done in direct violation of codes.

So you think it is normal practice to wheel a motorcycle into your living room? Not really. But pulling a vehicle into a space with an overhead door is pretty common practice

Yes old installs can absolutely be grandfathered in. But in this case we are talking about a new install done in direct violation of codes.
That's completely understood the install is against code not 1 reply has disputed that . But just because something is against code or illegal doesn't automatically mean a claim will be denied ( drinking and driving , running a redlight , speeding , driving with a suspended license are all illegal , the damage and loss are covered in almost every case unless the policy specificaly states it .

Reactions: Highbeam
this boils down to the insurance company adjusting the premium and taking photos ( had they told him at that time he needs to get a CO to be covered and he neglected to do so ) than they can easily deny the claim . But in this example even a chitty lawyer will get them to pay because he is paying extra so the insurance co cannot say they didn't know , and they visited the site so they can't say they didn't know where it was installed .

So you think it is normal practice to wheel a motorcycle into your living room? Not really. But pulling a vehicle into a space with an overhead door is pretty common practice

For me, no it's not. I do have a friend that keeps his Ducati in his living room all winter. Decorates it with Christmas lights and everything.

The vast majority of home installs don't meet code based on the previous quote. You could likely find flammable aerosols and cleaners in the same locations as these stoves are installed. I'm not sure why you dont aggressively push no flammables in houses as much as you push no wood stoves in garages. Both are code violations based on begreen's irc quote.

Haha... I used to run my sled in the back door and work in it in the livingroom...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

That's completely understood the install is against code not 1 reply has disputed that . But just because something is against code or illegal doesn't automatically mean a claim will be denied ( drinking and driving , running a redlight , speeding , driving with a suspended license are all illegal , the damage and loss are covered in almost every case unless the policy specificaly states it .
Yes damages to others not to your own property

For me, no it's not. I do have a friend that keeps his Ducati in his living room all winter. Decorates it with Christmas lights and everything.

The vast majority of home installs don't meet code based on the previous quote. You could likely find flammable aerosols and cleaners in the same locations as these stoves are installed. I'm not sure why you dont aggressively push no flammables in houses as much as you push no wood stoves in garages. Both are code violations based on begreen's irc quote.
I don't agressivly push this code at all. I think the code is stupid. But I have personally seen losses not covered because of this issue. Because of that I warm people of that risk plain and simple. I have never seen or heard of a claim being denied because of normal household chemicals.

Reactions: WinterinWI
I would not a wood stove in shop or garage not only would I not feel safe. I would much rather have a wood furnace outside with duct work running in to the work area. A furnace with a lean-to over it provides a good place to store some wood and keeps all the mess off the shop floor. If you set up the return air with a filter it helps greatly with dust and air quality as well. Years back I helped a guy with a stock car that had a wood furnace in the shop yes it was warm, yes I was nervous as hell the night we dropped the fuel cell out of it and yes there was ash and wood chips all over the floor.

Haha... I used to run my sled in the back door and work in it in the livingroom...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yes I have know of people that have done it as well. But it is not normal practice. And in that case I would not be surprised if there was a problem with insurance

Aside from the debate of safety issues of a wood stove in a garage there are some negatives about the day to day usage of a wood burner for me which the OP had touched on . Let's say I want to do some work in the shop/garage for an hour or two in the dead of winter. Cold machinery takes a long time to heat up . I might need to run the wood stove 3hours to get an hour or so of work done . That gets old fast. If the machine shop is to be used to earn income time is money . Even with free wood on the property it stills takes equipment ,time , maintenance of saws/splitter , storage space / wood shed ,etc. I would look at a ceiling mount propane heater for the shop along with quality insulation . There should be very little maintenance to do , you can keep the shop at a comfortable minimum temp and bump it up when you want or need to . Over ,done . Now look to install the wood stove upstairs in the living space and grab some savings there .....
Just my thoughts ..........
Bob

Reactions: Jackfre
Hot and cold is hard on machine tools, radiant floor , water circulated in hepex tubing, is contnious temp and economical. I use a $300.00 propane powered tank-less heater on a 30x60 basement slab to maintain 62 deg, just right. Also it takes up almost no room, one 5" duct to the outside.

I think I would just put one of those Big Maxx ceiling furnaces in on propane. Put it on a setback thermostat for overnight. Takes up zero floor space.